Janelle's whole 30-1/1/13

jabisk

This is my first Whole 30. I tried a 21 day sugar detox and fell short at the end. Sugar has always been a struggle for me. I also live with my hubby and two kiddos (12 yr. and 9 yr.). Back in August, I helped rest of the family to go Paleo but allowed them to eat what they wanted when we went out or to a friend's house. There was a lot of complaining from my daughter even after i explained and had her read several lid paleo books. the rest of the gang joined her and started making SAD food choices. They have returned to their SAD diet which is another challenge for me although I honestly don't miss most SAD foods, just the treats :)

Day 1:

Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambled, 1/4 c. sauerkraut, 1 c. blackberries, tea

Meal 2 (postWO): cauliflower rice, chicken, olives

Meal 3: prosciutto chicken (from foodee project), broccoli, mixed greens with balsamic/olive oil dressing

I kind of feel like I didn't eat enough but I am not starving. I keep eye balling my fruit basket but then asked myself if I would eat fish and steamed veggies and I realized I am not that hungry :). I am also going to try and squeeze in a bit more fat tomorrow.

Day 2 started with hot yoga that wasn't hot because the heater broke 30 minutes into the class. I felt bad for the instructor because she kept trying to fix it but she couldn't get it to work. That was a little frustrating but I reminded myself that things could be worse. I am also feeling guilty that the rest of my family is eating crap and I am feeding myself healthy REAL foods. My husband really needs to pay more attention to his health but he is the only one who can make that decision. I have tried but I feel like a nagging wife and so I have stopped.

Enough with the venting.....today's eats.....

Meal 1: steak, canteloupe, 1/2 avocado, herbal tea

Meal 2: chicken, cauliflower rice, hot sauce, olives

Meal 3 (snack to tide over to dinner): herbal tea, macadamia nuts and pistachios

Meal 4: ribs, green beans, roasted beet with olive oil, sweet potato fries

I am craving something sweet. I am planning on making a cup of tea, cleaning up the kitchen, and then heading to bed (hopefully)!

Hope everyone is off to a great start!

So I just ate breakfast and was reading everyone's logs and realized if I try and do 102 days it would end on my 40th birthday! While I am only on day 3, I am not ready to commit to 102 days yet but an toying with the idea. What an accomplishment that would be! We have a couple vacations planned and will be moving in with my mother inlaw (which is going to be stressful). I love her to death but packing up and leaving my own home is not something I am looking forward to. We will cross that bridge once it comes though.

I only slept 6 hours last night and had a horrible dream about my daughter being missing. Every time I tried to go back to sleep I kept falling back into the same dream. I had to keep reminding myself she was okay and asleep soundly in her bed. Definitely think a nap may be in order this afternoon.

Meal 1: coffee with coconut milk, steak with green beans and hot sauce, saurkraut (wasn't terribly hungry this morning)

Rest of the eats for today...

Meal 2: didn't happen, was out with kids dr. appt and house "stuff"

Snack: carrot on way to dinner

Meal 3: steamed salmon and veggies (ate at a Japanese restaurant), then avocado and cantaloupe when I got home

We are heading out of town for a couple nights. I am prepping some stuff to take with me-hard boiled eggs, sliced veggies, portioned baggies of macadamia nuts (or I will eat the whole bag), meatloaf muffins, and I have some bananas and apples to pack also. It will be tricky since the rest of the family will be eating out for all meals. I am hoping we will find some restaurants that will have acceptable choices for me too, but if not, I will be prepared.

I was really in a good mood all day long and not starving or thinking about what I was going to eat next (that was yesterday). I had planned on a leg and ab workout today but that didn't happen. Maybe tomorrow before we leave :)

I had planned on getting up and getting in a workout before we hit the road....but my husband was eager to get on the road as soon as possible. This also meant I did not get to pack as many snacks as I would have liked but so far so good! I brought apples,macadamia nuts, hard boiled eggs, and meatloaf muffins. I had a bit of a headache this afternoon but it kind of came and went for 30 minutes and now it's gone. This is probably TMI........My stomach is already showing some improvement. I am not running the the bathroom 4-5 times (which was normal for me). Going once a day has been nice and I don't have to worry about where or when I am going to have to go. It is too early but I am hoping this change is for good!

Meal 1: hard boiled egg, coffee with coconut milk (was supposed to be preworkout meal but ended up not being)

Meal 2: apple and macadamia nuts (in car on way to family outing)

Meal 3: grass fed bison burger (so yummy!), avocado, mixed greens and tomato slices (so excited I could find such healthy choices at a restaurant)

Cup of coffee to warm up

Waiting to get dinner (meal 4)....planning on a salad with veggies, more, avocado, oil and vinegar for dressing with meatloaf muffins or hard boiled eggs for some protein.

I am so proud of myself for being able to walk through candy stores with barrels of my favorite candies ( salt water taffy anyone?) and not buy any. We also walked by several "treat" restaurants and I just smiled and kept on walking.

Just had meal 4: spring salad mix, strawberries, avocado, toasted almonds and chicken. We ate at a little restaurant Hot Spud. The salad I ordered had like two strawberries and a sprinkle of almonds and chicken. Once we got back to our hotel, I gobbled down a meatloaf muffin for a bit more protein. Having a bit of decaf for a treat while the rest of the family enjoys goodies.

So I spoke too soon...my tummy ended up a bit upset with me last night and I am thinking I may have eaten too much salad yesterday. I had A LOT of mixed greens since my choices were limited eating out. All better by morning though.

Horrible night sleep in hotel. Between the traffic on the street, homeless people yelling and my daughter repeatedly elbowing me in the back, I didn't sleep more than an hour at a time if that. I am looking forward to a better night sleep tonight.

I was totally out of it this morning and my head was in a fog until close to 12. We went to the zoo and have checked into another hotel for tonight. Much quieter and I am not sharing the bed with my daughter tonight!

Meal 1: scrambled eggs, one sausage (pretty sure not whole 30 compliant), cantaloupe, orange, black coffee

Meal 2/Snack: meatloaf muffin, apple, macadamia nuts

Meal 3: broiled chicken and veggies (I think they were cooked in butter even though I asked for them to be steamed!)

Coffee while the others indulge in cake and cheesecake!

Do I need to start over with my two meal item slip ups today? I feel like overall I am doing so well other than those two items today. Not crazy sugar cravings and I feel like I am in control and making better food choices!

Thanks in advance for any input :)

I decided not to restart. I didn't intentionally eat no compliant foods. I have learned that I need to be more careful and in all honesty will be trying to eat at home since I know what I have used to make my own meals.

I slept horrible again last night. There was a little green light on the fire alarm over my spot on the bed in our hotel room, and I felt like it was shining right on my face. I tossed and turned all night. I am definitely looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight. They only bummer is I am off my winter break and return to teaching and my daily, hectic life tomorrow! But I am prepared....at least foodwise ;). I baked an egg bake this afternoon for my breakfasts which I will also be eating with greens I prepared. I made a paleo minestrone soup with lots of veggies and ground beef which I have already portioned out for the week. Dinners are planned and all the ingredients are stocked up in the frige and pantry. So I feel prepared for keeping on track.

Today's eats....

Meal 1: 2 hard boiled eggs, apple, coffee (my husband was in a hurry to get on the road and I refused to get anything of the McDonald's menu)

Meal 2: Cincinnati chili, cauliflower rice, green beans and avocado, kombocha....so nice to be home!

Meal 3: roasted chicken, cauliflower rice, roasted beets drizzled with olive oil and salt and pepper, kombocha

I am doing last minute cleaning in kitchen now, sipping tea, and hoping to be to bed by 10:30 since the alarm clock will be screaming at me at 5:30. Back to the grind!

I was really excited when I had my breakfast and lunch already prepared to take to work with me. It definitely makes staying on track a lot easier. I felt great all day today other than a bit of tummy troubles early in the morning but that's nothing new for me :). Hoping this will change soon since I am really paying attention to what I am eating.

Meal 1: southwestern casserole (from everyday paleo), with sautéed spinach, half an orange and coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2: paleo minestrone soup with half an avocado

Meal 3: leftover roasted chicken from last night, sautéed greens, sweet potato with coconut manna, kombucha

I still didn't sleep great last night. I got to bed at 11:15 pm and my husband was watching TV. (Ughhhhh!) I kept thinking about no electronics before bed and sleeping in a dark room. This managed to keep me awake for another 1/2 hour. Then I woke up for no reason at 3 am. I did fall back asleep and the alarm woke me up at 6:00. Really want to get to bed at a decent time tonight! Little prep for tomorrow other than making my kids their SAD lunch for school. This has really been bothering me but I will rant about that another time!

Yay for day 7!!!!!!!!

Day 8....woot!

Meal 1: sautéed spinach with southwestern casserole, cantaloupe and blackberries, black coffee

Meal 2: paleo minestrone, avocado, and half an orange

Meal 3: Cincinnati chili, sautéed greens, sweet potato, macadamia nuts, and kombucha (finally spelled it right!)

Trouble falling asleep last night. Hubby did the TV thing. Slept soundly until 5:00 am but I didn't need to get up until 5:30 am. No tummy troubles this morning! Yay! Felt really good all day other than stressing about work stuff.

I am upset that I haven't been working out :(. It is my stress relief and I just can't seem to make time right now with my work schedule. I love my workouts in a weird way and I LOVE LOVE Bikram. I would go everyday if I could. I am aiming for trying to go once on the weekends and hopefully will work in four days of lifting weights.

And....I have never been good about pre and post workout meals since I tend to workout mid afternoon (4ish). I know this is something I am going to have to think about a bit. Would love suggestions!

Day 9 Eats

Meal 1: southwestern casserole with sautéed spinach, black coffee

Meal 2: can of tuna with 1/2 an avocado, two carrots (I was in a hurry because I only had a 40 minute lunch break for my training)

PrreWO: hard boiled egg, small handful of pistachios

PostWO: leftover roasted chicken and a banana

Meal 3: The Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat (from Well Fed), broccoli, sauerkraut, decaf coffee

Slept okay last night. I fell asleep pretty quickly even with the TV going....grrrrrrr. I woke up at 4 am because my husband was suffering from a terrible toothache. I went right back to sleep to wake up again at 5 am because the TV was on in the family room and the flashing from the screen was lighting up our room. I also had a very vivid dream about eating a chocolate chip brownie. Felt guilty when I woke up!

I sat for a meeting/ training thing all day today with little movement. I didn't eat enough for lunch and was hungry by 3:30. It worked out okay because I had planned on working out around 5pm so I got home and ate my pre-workout snack. Other than a little headache around 3 pm today, I have been feeling really good.

My training/meeting continues tomorrow so I need to be better prepared for lunch. I know I will be running home to eat so I am making sure there is something quick that I can eat which will keep me satisfied.

Loving the Whole 30!

Oh dear! Today has not started off so good! I forgot to pre pack lunches last night for the kiddos and was scrambling to make them this morning, I made my breakfast of sautéed greens, egg casserole, and avocado packed to bring with me but felt sick to my stomach so never ate it. I did have a cup of coffee and am feeling better now but my breakfast has been sitting out while I am in my training. I am nervous to eat it now that it has been sitting out for 3 hours. I figure I am just going to wait until lunch because my only options now would be bagels or pastries (NOT AN OPTION!) at the training. Things could be worse......just not my ideal start or the way I have been starting my mornings and am feeling frustrated.

Today turned out to be a good day even though the morning was a bit rough.

Meal 1: coffee (stomach wasn't feel so great)

Meal 2: sautéed spinach, southwestern casserole, avocado, apple with sun butter

PreWO: 2 hard boiled eggs

PostWO: roasted chicken breast

Meal 3: pulled pork, broccoli, sautéed greens, avocado, and kombucha

One of my goals to work on during the whole 30 (other than diet) was getting to be at a reasonable hour to get a in minimum of at least 7 hours. I'm currently getting 6 hours of sleep. Somehow I have to get myself into bed earlier because my wake up time can't change.

I am making food to take into work. One of the other teachers I signed up with is paleo and so we are bringing in foods we know we can eat :). Normally we have a bunch of junk and there are two other teachers bringing food as well....one baked goods of some sort and the other canned chili (yuck). My paleo pal is bringing chicken soup sans noodles and I am bringing fresh fruit and paleo minestrone. People at work ask the two of us all the time about the way we eat and the reasons why we are doing it. Many think it is for losing weight which we have mentioned that many people to lose weight but that is not why either one of us is changing our eating habits. It will be interesting to see if anyone says anything about what we have brought in. Off to make soup and banana bread for my SAD family.

Happy Friday!

Today was a great day and I am actually amazed at how good I am feeling. I knew I had not green eating as healthy as i should have been and definitely ate too many treats over the holidays, but I feel so much healthier in just 10 days.

Day 10 eats.....(edit: lol....I have already lost track of my days....today was 11)

Meal 1: 2 scrambled eggs, spinach, half a grapefruit, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2: paleo minestrone soup (everyone at work LOVED it!)

Meal 3: leftover pulled pork, broccoli, more minestrone soup, avocado, kombucha

Coffee with coconut milk

I am not sure I am eating enough veggies in the morning. I usually sauté two handfuls of greens in coconut oil or EVOO but it cooks down to nothing. I might try and increase it a bit.

Day 12 eats...

Meal 1: 2 eggs muffins wrapped with prosciutto, kale, grapefruit with blackberries, coffee with coconut milk

PostWO: meatloaf muffin, bit of sweet potato

Meal 2: minestrone soup with avocado, macadamia nuts

I got hungry around 4:30 because I think I didn't eat enough protein with meal 2. So I had a cup of vanilla apricot tea which did the trick.

Meal 3: steak, green beans, cucumber with bell pepper in olive oil and vinegar, kraut, bit of avocado

Getting ready to have a cup of decaf coffee before snuggling up with ISWF. I am rereading it since I read it over the summer.

Today was a good day. I was able to get a leg and ab workout in. I am planning on going to hot yoga tomorrow morning if I wake up in time. I hate setting the alarm on the weekends! I need to plan next week's meals and do grocery shopping tomorrow along with watching my son at his first flag football practice. It should be a busy day.

I got up and did hot yoga this morning at 8:00 am. I was so excited to go but it kicked my butt! There were a lot of people and I ended up having to scoot under the heater. Damn it was HOT! I hadn't had a lot of water prior since I woke up at 7:15 and I felt it about halfway through. This is the first time I have gone since starting Whole30 so I wasn't sure if it felt different because of my diet or because the heat was blasting on me....maybe a combo of both.

I felt blah the rest of the day and not too motivated to get much done which is not the way I have been feeling. I also feel like I am more bloated tonight (not nearly as bad as before starting though). I did plan out our meals for the week, went grocery shopping, and prepared chili and soup for lunches. I am also thinking of making some chicken salad with homemade mayo. Sounds yummy!

Day 13 eats...

Meal 1: 2 egg muffins wrapped with prosciutto, green beans, 1/2 a banana with sun butter, black coffee

Meal 2: leftover steak with sautéed kale, olives, peppermint green tea

Meal 3: meatloaf muffin, Cincinnati chili, 1/2 a sweet potato, a handful of green beans, green salad with cucumber and bell pepper, kombucha (I was cleaning up leftovers)

Getting ready for a cup of decaf and prepping lunches for tomorrow. This week is going to be a fairly easy at work. I only have to teach three days, have a meeting all day Thursday, and an in service on Friday. It has been nice easing back into the school routine.

Felt more like myself again today! I woke up kind of bloated. I am starting to think it might be lettuce. The last couple times I have had a salad either with mixed greens or romaine my tummy has had some sort of issue. I got in a chest, shoulder and tricep workout once I got home from work.

Day 14 eats...

Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambles with sautéed spinach, a bit of grapefruit, blackberries and canteloupe, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2: chicken salad with homemade mayo, apple, and celery, cucumber slices, 1/2 an avocado

PreWO: hard boiled egg

PostWO: can of tuna

Meal 3: crockpot meatballs(from everyday paleo cookbook), sautéed collard greens, 1/2 an avocado, kombucha

I will probably end the day with a cup of decaf while I clean up kitchen and pack lunches.

Wooohhh...we're half way there.....(sorry I thought of the Bon Jovi song "Livin on a Prayer" when I thought about making it halfway!)

Day 15 eats....

Meal 1: same as yesterday without coconut milk

Meal 2: chicken salad with homemade mayo, bell peppers, avocado

PostWO: 2 hard boiled eggs

Meal 3: Cincinnati chili, steamed carrots, sautéed greens, macadamia nuts, kombucha

Today was a good day. I snuck out of work a bit early (it was after our staff meeting and individual planning time) to go try a Yoga Body class. It was fun and more of a workout than hot yoga. I am going to try a flow class this weekend I hope. I am addicted to yoga!

I am still having a difficult time getting to bed by 10:30. It is more like 11:30ish which means I am only getting 5 hours of sleep each night during the week. BUT my night sweats have seemed to disappear. I haven't had them for the last couple nights.

Off to make coffee and do my nightly chores!

Day 16 eats...

Meal 1: the usual.....two eggs, sautéed spinach, a bit of grapefruit, canteloupe and blackberries, black coffee

Meal 2: meatballs, sautéed collard greens, macadamia nuts

Meal 3: turkey burger, Cincinnati chili, cauliflower, avocado, kombucha

I'm a bit stressed tonight because I have an early morning meeting with parent and an all day planning meeting. The sub I was supposed to have cancelled so I have a random person and with my class this year, that's not a good thing. I have a ton of grading to do, need to finish my sub plans and my house is a mess. So off to work.....hopefully bed at 11 tonight. Baby steps!

Day 17 ( already?!?!) eats.....

Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambled, sautéed spinach, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2: Chipotle, burrito bowl with carnitas, pick guacamole and :( fajita veggies which are cooked in soybean oil

More coffee with coconut milk

PreWO: hard boiled egg and macadamia nuts

PostWO: tuna with bit of mayo (what I have planned but could change)....edit-three chicken breast tenders

Meal 3: zucchini pizza, kombucha (planned for dinner but could change) edit-zoo does with leftover meatball, katamala olives, kombucha

Tea with coconut milk

I really didn't want to go eat out as I had brought my lunch, but one of the teachers (who joined in me eating paleo last year) convinced me that Chipotle would be fine. We got there, I read the menu and felt good about what I was going to get. Once I started eating, I began to question the veggies thinking maybe they don't cook them in a Whole 30 approved oil/fat. once coming home and searching the forum, I have found out that they are cooked in soybean oil. Totally accidental but it has made me angry since I have done so well for 17 days. I don't feel like I need to start over since I have been feeling so good and my tummy issues have disappeared. It will be interesting to see how this affects me (tummy troubles?).

I really don't have a desire to eat out. I like knowing what ingredients I am cooking with and where they came from. This is a huge shift for me since my family normally eats out at least once a week. My excuse was always that we needed to eat out on Fridays since it was the end of my work week and I was exhausted. Well that has changed. I am not exhausted like before once Friday comes around and I don't dread cooking on Friday night or the weekends for that matter.

Off to workout....legs and abs night....woot!

Day 18 eats...

Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambled, collard greens, half a banana with sun butter, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2: chicken salad with homemade mayo, apple, and celery, mini bell peppers to scoop up salad and half a small apple (It tasted soooo sweet!)

Snack: hard boiled egg, nuts....too many nuts!

Meal 3: chicken tenders, broccoli and cauliflower, kombucha, coffee with coconut milk

Easy day at work because it was an in service day. but one of my coworkers insisted I go to lunch with them which i had no insterest in doing. I was looking forward to my homemade lunch today.

The snack was supposed to be a pre-workout meal and I was going to do a back and biceps workout, UNTIL my hubby invited the kids' friends for a sleepover. There are a total of 6 kids running around my house and only two are mine :). But they are having fun and I will hit the weights tomorrow just bummed I ate a snack since I hadn't done that at all since starting.

Day 19 eats...

Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambles with sautéed spinach, a bit of grapefruit and blackberries, coffee with coconut milk

PostWO: tuna with homemade mayo and dill....yummy

Meal 2: (at a restaraunt) Greek salad- lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, like 4 olives (robbed!), hard boiled egg, and a little sweet potato when I got home and a few more olives because I was still hungry, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 3: Minestrone soup, whole avocado, little bit of salsa verde, 5 macadamia nuts, kombucha

After meal 3, I ended up eating too many cashews as I was prepping them to roast. Don't know why I'm so hungry today! And I think....nuts in house= food with no brakes. No more nuts :(

I actually woke up not feeling great, but i think that ws due to the fact of not sleeping all that well. i went to bed late once the kids settled down and then my son's friend woke up at 5:45 am and was walking around. I tossed and turned until 7:00 am when I finally got up. I made myself breakfast pretty much once I was up and started to feel better.

I did a back and bicep workout and felt sooooo good. My pull ups (with a band) felt stronger and I was able to up my weights for some lifts. We had to go meet up with my daughter's soccer team for sign ups which was at a family friend's restaraunt. We all ended up staying there for lunch. I couldn't decide what I wanted and didn't feel satisfied once I was done with my salad (not enough fat?). I have been so hungry since lunch with many temptations but I haven't given in :) I took a 30 minute nap this afternoon...I love a quick nap. I ate quite a bit of fat with dinner so hoping that will help.

I am hoping to make yoga tomorrow and desperately need to get to the grocery store.....out of eggs and meat! Aghhhh!

Archived