Melissa's First Whole30

MelH1010

*My journey includes some female issues... If you don't want to read about that stop here!  I'm not shy about sharing these issues as I think they need more attention, so share I will!*

My start date was January 1, 2018... Not necessarily a New Years Resolution but the holidays are hard enough, I couldn't add this on top.  A few weeks ago my husband announced he wanted to do this with me.  Hopefully we still like each other throughout this process!  

I have many reasons for wanting to start.  I've started to hide from cameras, I just don't feel good about myself and hate seeing pictures of myself.  My self esteem has hit rock bottom.  I suffer from Premature Ovarian Failure... I was just diagnosed with it last year but it's likely been going on since my mid 20's.  In layman's terms I've been pre-menopausal since my 20's, I'm 35 now.  My diagnosis has caused depression, anxiety, and a loss of purpose.  Everyday is a struggle, I've always wanted to be a mom and now I'm having to envision that path differently.  I haven't started a cycle on my own in 2 months now, one more and I'll be considered menopausal.  Hot flashes are getting worse, hair loss, wrinkles... and it scares the crap out of me.  My hope is that Whole30 will balance my hormones some and help with this issue.  I'm doing a medical trial for Ovarian Rejuvenation in a few months and diet plays a huge role!  We just want one child of our own, I'm hoping Whole30 will help us reach that goal!  If not, I hope it will at least help me feel better.  

Day 1 (1/1/2018)

Breakfast: Coffee with coconut milk... I started day 1 wrong as that's all I had for breakfast!  However, I felt accomplished for finishing that coffee since I normally only like sugary coffee.  In fact, it wasn't bad!

Lunch: Zoe's Chicken kabobs, grilled potatoes, side of fruit, and a glass of water.

Dinner: Instant Pot Stuffed Cabbage Roll Bowls from Tasty Thin.  I struggled with the idea of not having black eyed peas but I survived.    

How I felt:  I was fine until mid afternoon.  I started feeling really sluggish after that, almost no energy and very sleepy.  Towards the evening I had intense cravings for something sweet.  I probably ate more of the stuffed cabbage bowel than I should have because I was trying to push through that craving!

Day 2 (1/2/2019)

Breakfast: Coffee with coconut milk, scrambled eggs, & potatoes.

Lunch: Left over Cabbage Roll Bowl

Dinner: Instant Pot Taco Stuffed Potatoes.  These were good but not amazing. 

Drinks: Water, Topo Chico, and Iced Tea (unsweeted, this is huge for me, I even enjoyed it!)

How I felt:  Exhausted and unable to focus.  Work was hard, It was almost 2 before I could really focus on much.  Thank God for Instant Cart because I couldn't have gone to the store!  I pushed through and made dinner.

Cravings:  I want an effing chocolate chip cookie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Day 3 (1/3/2018)

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with some ghee and coffee with NutPod Creamer.  NutPod creamer is a lifesaver!!!  I could have cried it was so good!  I ordered the pumpkin spice one and am so excited for it to get here!  Honestly, that creamer was my reassurance I can get through these 30 days! Lol kidding.... kind of.

Lunch:  Leftover Taco Stuffed Potatoes.  This recipe is just ok.  However, my husband I discovered throwing a little Primal Kitchen Mayonnaise in it almost makes us feel like you’re not missing sour cream and cheese.

Dinner:  I introduced my husband to Zoe’s!  We have salmon kabobs, roasted veggies, and potatoes (grilled of course).  He wasn’t a huge fan but the potatoes made him love it.  Zoe’s is my other lifesaver in this journey.  I don’t feel like I’m missing much when I eat there!

Drinks: Water, lemon water, Topo Chico, and soda water from Zoe’s.  I actually loved the soda water.

How I felt: Surprisingly better.  I was prepared to be miserable but I really wasn’t.  In the morning I had more energy and it lasted throughout the afternoon.  I started to have some bad brain fog around 10 AM but after lunch I was ok again.  

We went to the mall after work... Smelling those pretzels was my biggest challenge.  But I resisted... Those carbs and butter smelled amazing!!  They would have made me feel miserable though!

Day 4 (1/4/18)!

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with a little ghee.  Coffee with nutpod creamer.

Lunch: Zoe’s Mediterranean Chicken, fruit, and grill potatoes.  

Dinner: Tuna with some primal kitchen mayonnaise in avocado boat!  So good.

Drinks: Lemon water, Topo Chico, a few sips of unsweetened tea before I spilled it all over my desk! Lol

How I felt:  Still better.  Not a ton of energy but not low on energy either.  I’m amazed that I’m feeling so good this far in.

Cravings:  I really want some chocolate.  I might try adding a little cocoa to my coffee to see if that does it!

Archived