I completed my first Whole30 yesterday and today kicks off my reintroduction. I was diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD not the same as IBS) 6 years ago and this is one of many elimination diets I’ve tried.

I’m happy to report that I’ve seen a reduction in the number of times I had to go to the bathroom (dropped from 7-10 times daily at the onset to 3-4 as of yesterday). However, I’ve had an increase in gas pain and bloating for an obvious reason. I’ve been able to consume more cooked roughage than before but my body tolerated it fairly well. 

When I was first diagnosed I couldn’t have anything with fiber in it, which made eating anything a painful nightmare. My GI tract was so inflamed that drinking water and Boost or Ensure were tearful experiences. I’m grateful that I was able to tolerate cooked veggies and roughage so well on this as that wasn’t typically the case in the past. 

A few other highlights for me are that the redness on my face has cleared up a bit, skin has improved overall, and I lost 10 lbs. I think this was a good choice for me because I had a solid idea of what made my IBD symptoms worse and the Whole30 reaffirmed that better than some of the other elimination diets I did previously. 

I looked through the forum a lot before starting the Whole30 and throughout my elimination diet. I know that not everyone has the same IBD symptoms but I would love to hear from more IBD folks regarding how they felt about the Whole30 and how it impacted them.

Also, I was taking VSL3 before with mixed results. I stopped taking it leading up to the Whole30 and now I’m not sure if I should resume it or switch to something else. Any insights and recommendations would be appreciated!