Catching Up Day 6

CathyG

Well, I'm a little late to the forum party, but I'm on Day 6 of my first Whole30. So far I made it through The Hangover Days without too much trouble and through the Kill All the Things Days without feeling too murder-y. So far, so good, but food boredom is something I'm going to have to keep an eye on. If anyone else started Aug. 15 and wants an accountability partner, LMK. 

Hi, CathyG!

I, too, started on August 15, so I'm also on Day 7 right now, the second of the I Just Want a Nap days.  I survived The Hangover Days by pre-stepping down my diet pop addiction before Day 1, and lived through Kill All the Things with a little lack-of-faith sadness--"Is this really going to work?"--rather than murderous rage.  It may be because I work nights, or it may be because I wasn't a muffins-and-mocha-lattes type before, but I can't say I feel any more sleepy than usual.  Anxious to feel fat-adapted.  How's your food boredom?

My real name is Stephany, by the way!

Hey Stephany, 

Nice to 'meet' you. Funny you just posted, b/c I just hopped on the forum to see if I could find out anything about whether it was bad or good to satisfy food cravings based on texture. I really wanted dairy yesterday, but mostly b/c I wanted something creamy.  

I did sign on for a month of the Real Plans food planner, which I'm hoping will alleviate the boredom, which has already set in. I can only eat so much zuchhini and sweet potatoes. But I'm going to try and find some other recipes for week 2 that are a little more varied. The recipes I did make from the planner were pretty tasty, and so if you haven't tried that, I might recommend. 

Feel free to stay in touch throughout the next 23 days - I'm doing this solo so certainly don't mind having a "partner" in this. 

Have a good weekend!

-Cathy

Hey, Cathy--

I saw your post regarding a craving for texture.  It might take me a few Whole30s to fully internalize why substitution with something Whole30-compliant is a no-no.  I get it about SWYPO...but sometimes you are satisfied with just SWYPO!  Oh, well--I am making myself play by the rules!

I signed up for Real Plans also but have yet to make anything; I've got to trot to Whole Foods for some coconut aminos as the local and "fancier local" grocery stores don't have that.  It's good to know that I've got Real Plans as ammunition for food boredom.  I never really noticed myself having a Sugar Dragon, but I've got one fierce Dairy Demon!  So that I don't cry over (desperately) missing cheese, I'm trying to focus on the adventure of things I've never tasted:  I bought a jicama yesterday.  Wonder what that's like?

I'm doing this solo, too.  My bff is supportive, but my bf is totally not (he actively tries to sabotage me)!

Enjoy your weekend, and stay safe!

Stephany 

Hey Stephany,

Thought I'd check in and see how it goes. While I'm not being actively sabotaged (that's got to be hard!), my 11-year old daughter insisted on making Nutella brownies the other day. Kill me now. As of this morning, the rest of the family has polished them off so I dodged that bullet. Week 2 has been harder than week 1 for me, but so far I'm hanging in there. Realized belatedly the onion powder I had been using is not compliant, and I know that I'm technically supposed to "start over", but, well, I'm just not beat myself up for an accidental oversight. It's not like I scarfed down a pint of Ben & Jerry's. 

Hopefully you made it to WholeFoods to stock up. In my area, we have lots of Whole Foods, but Trader Joes are fewer and farther between. I have some free time today, so am thinking about trekking to one, b/c they seem to have some interesting Whole30 compliant foods (turkey hot dogs, chicken chili lime 'burgers') that you can't get elsewhere. 

Jicama doesn't have much flavor IMO, but wondering what you thought of it. I discovered a new fruit last summer that for me has been absolutely revelatory - soursop. (also called guanabana). IF you can find it, it's great mixed with other tropical fruit (papaya, guava, pineapple, etc...) and topped with Tajin or another chili-lime seasoning. 

Happy Friday and good luck!

-Cathy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Cathy--

Sorry for the delay in response...I didn't have internet at home for four days last week and I work a 12-hour shift, yada, yada, yada.  Anyway, in my personal experience, being actively sabotaged is a zillion times worse than merely having to have one's willpower constantly at the ready against randomly-occurring temptation because of the underlying intent.  I can say this, however, because I don't share living quarters with him and his "Let's go out for pasta right now!" whims.  So I definitely feel for you having to witness the consumption of Nutella brownies right under your nose!  I'm also with you on not starting over because something took you unintentionally off-plan.  It happened to me, too.

On that note...I'm turning this into a Whole60 because my Whole30 has been less than perfect, so I'm going out for pantry items today.  A blood test I had to have for a health initiative at my job reveals I may be borderline diabetic (it's hereditary, so no surprise), so I'm all in regarding leaving carbs on the shelf:  arrowroot powder, bad; canned salmon, good.  Interesting about Whole Foods v. Trader Joe's--WF is 13 miles from here, while the nearest TJ is at least 25.  Thanks for the tip that a road trip to TJ may be in order!

You're right about jicama, and I'll keep my eyes open for soursop/guanabana; I do love me some tropical fruits!  I live on the edge of a large metropolitan area so it may be easier to find than I realize.  Ooh, know what I discovered?  Butterball "All Natural" turkey burgers are over-the-top awesome!  No kidding, I could just grill up a pile of them and chomp on them in front of the tv.  And no carbs at all! 

Hope you're having a great Labor Day weekend!

Stephany

Archived