Finished Whole 30 - On to Whole 60!

Lauriecorgimom

I started my Whole30 on May 1, 2021. Finished today, May 30. I've decided to do a Whole60 so it continues... The first two weeks were rocky for me. I tracked with the symptoms given in my Day-to-Day and Whole30 books. At the two-week mark I decided to give up coffee. I had cut back from 4 cups in the morning to 2 cups and then 1 cup. I didn't enjoy it at all after I started the Whole30 and quit using half-and-half and stevia. So it was easy to cut back. Cutting it out completely was another story. I did it slowly but apparently not slowly enough. I had a headache the first day without coffee and was very irritable, grouchy and emotional for about a week. By the 10th day without coffee I was pretty symptom free. But of course by then my Whole30 was almost done. Quitting coffee set me back in some ways and helped me in some ways. My silent reflux is still an issue too so I've decided to continue beyond the 30 days.

I have seen progress though in other ways. My anxiety level went down very quickly on the Whole30. I felt much calmer. I was never hungry and didn't crave any particular food. I stayed on the program. Breakfast was typically 2 Happy Eggs with greens of some sort, a small red potato and Applegate sugarfree sausage; lunch was a salad with protein; dinner was usually a chicken thigh with lots of vegies and a small potato. Fat was ghee or coconut oil or compliant dressing. I tried some of the recipes in the Whole30 book and enjoyed most of them. I kept it simple. I plan to stay the same course for the second part (days 31-60). I'd like to try more recipes and mix it up a bit. I have a Whole Foods right down the street so shopping has been pretty easy. I'm at the store a lot!

I would like to see more improvement in my energy level. It has been pretty low. I was hoping for better. Prior to my Whole30 I was depressed and sad. That hasn't gone away, although I do see some improvement. And then there is the silent reflux. It is better too, but I'm hoping for more improvement to come in the next 30 days. So all-in-all, I'm happy with the progress I've made but I'd like to see more so I'm staying with the program. I'll use the next 30 days to look into the reintroduction part of the program. I definitely want to nail down the foods that are causing the problems I'm experiencing. I ordered the book Food Freedom Forever to walk me through that next step down the road.  

• 5 weeks later...

Finished my Whole60 today. I'll be adding some things back but for the most part my diet will remain the same. I feel good without flour, sugar and dairy. A lot of my symptoms went away, not all of them, but I'm not sure food was the source of those issues. I'll add back hummus and other beans, I might experiment with yogurt and a little cheese to see if I can tolerate some dairy. So I guess that's it. Sixty days - yay!

It was a lonely journey. If I go back on the diet, I probably won't be doing the forum. Maybe it was just a quiet time of the year - not sure. But it was discouraging. I felt like I was on the site alone. I hope others have a more positive experience. 

21 hours ago, Lauriecorgimom said:

Finished my Whole60 today. I'll be adding some things back but for the most part my diet will remain the same. I feel good without flour, sugar and dairy. A lot of my symptoms went away, not all of them, but I'm not sure food was the source of those issues. I'll add back hummus and other beans, I might experiment with yogurt and a little cheese to see if I can tolerate some dairy. So I guess that's it. Sixty days - yay!

It was a lonely journey. If I go back on the diet, I probably won't be doing the forum. Maybe it was just a quiet time of the year - not sure. But it was discouraging. I felt like I was on the site alone. I hope others have a more positive experience. 

Be careful of the cheese, I think that's what was killing me.  Add slowly like they say. Also cheese activates the opiate receptors in your brain, so when you feel like your addicted to cheese, you really are.

Archived