Brand New & Nervous

HelloKirst

I'm not entirely new to Paleo - I've tried it a few times, but have never really stuck with it. But, I received my copy of It Starts With Food and decided to just go all in.

I have to admit that I am nervous, but also really, really, really excited. I've put on about 40 pounds in the past year, so weight loss is certainly a goal, but I am just really looking forward to improving my health and feeling so much better than I do now.

It's certainly going to be a challenging 30 days for me. For starters, I'm a publicist. For chefs. And I have 4-6 food and drink related events per week (remember that 40 pound weight gain I mentioned?) So, yes, challenging. But, I am really looking forward to giving a Whole 30 (and probably multiple Whole 30s) a shot.

The most challenging things for me are actually going to the behavior related things. Not weighing everyday. Getting 7-8 hours of sleep every night without the TV or radio on as background noise. Not eating in front of my television or computer. I think these small day-to-day things are going to so rough for me.

Good luck to you in your Whole30 journey! You can definitely do it!

It looks like you've set some great goals for yourself and identified food in your professional life as a challenge. Are you expected to eat at the food related events? You should figure out strategies ahead of time that will allow you to promote the chefs and their talents without eating their non-Whole30 creations. Also, because you've dabbled with paleo in the past, it may be helpful to reflect on your previous attempts to figure out what worked, what didn't, and why you didn't stick with it.

Hi Jim,

I am expected to eat food at my events typically. However, I have let a lot of my clients know that there are certain things I will not be eating right now. I'm in Portland also, so luckily, this is a fairly friendly town when it comes to food and substitutions.

My biggest concern right now dietary wise is alcohol. That has been my downfall many, many times.

ISWF has lots of info on what alcohol really does to our brains and bodies. Keep that handy and refer back to it until you really understand - and buy-in to the alcohol break.

Getting enough sleep and eliminating those background noises is SO important. Even though it may not seem so right now, the effects of those bad habits are cumulative and will catch up with you in a few years! :)

I'm guessing the new behaviors are going to become second nature to you soon and you are going to notice how much more you enjoy eating when really paying attention to your food.

Best wishes!

Archived