Drop in Blood Pressure by Day 26

AU22

Finishing up the last few days of my first Whole30 and wanted to share...

Three years ago, after trying to control it with diet, my doctor had to put me on blood pressure medication. Despite losing weight and being in great shape 1.5 years ago, my BP still had to be monitored with medication. Whether measured by my doctor or at home with my own machine, my BP consistently remained around 130/85 (with meds).

Right before starting my first Whole30 on Feb 10, 2013, I made the very personal decision to stop taking my BP meds (note: this is not an endorsement to do the same; just my story). Yesterday, on Day 26 of my first Whole30, my doctor took my BP and it clocked in at 120/70 without meds. I was officially medically clearned from having to take BP meds. Had a bunch of blood work (triglycerides, cholesterol) done too and am looking forward to comparing those results from 6 months ago. March 12 will be Day 0 of my post-Whole30 and can't wait to be able to say I did it!

AU22 -- that's great! my husband had the same experience. something to keep in mind with your triglycerides and cholesterol is that it will probably take awhile for them to "settle" at a lower number. in fact, your triglycerides will likely be higher if you've been losing weight on W30, but just keep keeping on and things will even out. congratulations on making it to the end of your whole30!

Thanks for the heads up on the triglycerides jayseaklein. Tomorrow is my final 30 day and look forward to Tuesday when i should get all the results in. Regardless, the bp change alone is enough to make this journey worth it.

I blogged about my Whole30 adventure via my personal blog: http://auadventures.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/whole30-adventure-mission-accomplished-and-then-some-2/

quick update: lost 12 lbs and lost 5.75 total inches (my typical progress would be 3-5 lbs every 6-8 weeks, 3 inches every 6-8 weeks); drop in BP to normal levels with no medication, decrease in triglycerides, no change in LDL (yet as I assume that may take time).

Archived