Started Whole 30 at 16 weeks pregnant & have now lost weight!!

I started my first Whole 30 at 16 weeks pregnant and have stayed off of the scale as instructed. Lately I have noticed that my body is changing - my maternity clothes are fitting a bit different (better!) - so I finally stepped on the scale this morning. I have lost 3 or 4 pounds :( I am definitely showing & there's no hiding the baby bump these days (I am 18.5 weeks along right now)

I eat when I'm hungry & although it's true that before getting pregnant, I probably had 5 to 10 pounds to lose, I'm wondering if I should be freaking out about this!? The last thing I wanted to do was lose weight - I'm just trying to be as healthy as possible for myself and baby.

Should I try to eat more fats? Carbs? Anyone experience something similar, but baby was fine in the end?

When I was pregnant with my second I had to follow an anti-candida diet for a couple of months (which is pretty close to w30- mostly meat & veg) and I lost a little weight and definitely shrank into my clothes a little better. I actually looked great. My son was born at home with a midwife with no

complications at 39 weeks weighing 8 1/2 lbs. he was born "in the caul" meaning the amniotic sac did not break- something my midwife said was evidence that I ate a highly nutritious diet. He also has the most beautiful big straight white teeth I've ever seen- compared to my older son who I had

Shortly after eating a vegan diet and some processed foods- he has smaller teeth with spaces and may need braces- he was also born at 37 weeks and weighed only 7 lbs. I had an excellent experience eating grassfed meats and pastured eggs, lots of healthy fats and vegetables during my second pregnancy and the proof is in the difference in my two kids- while both are healthy and happy the little one obviously enjoye a nutritional advantage.

I've gone through stages of losing and gaining weight too, throughout my pregnancy. Talk to your midwife or doctor about what you're eating and how much you're eating, and make sure she/he isn't concerned. (Mine isn't.) Make sure you're eating enough protein - I'd suggest between 70-100 grams a day - and that your calories seem adequate. If all is well, I wouldn't worry about it.

I also know that I lost a lot of muscle after I stopped doing my normal training in my fifth or sixth month, which may have contributed to scale weight loss.

Best,

Melissa

Archived