Emma's second W30

EmmaSthlm

HAPPY TO BE BACK

I finished my first W30 in October, and felt better than ever. Since then I have stayed 80 % Paleo. I don't eat dairy anymore. I avoid sugar, wheat and processed food. I eat a piece of whole grain bread every morning, but no other grains. I eat legumes every now and then, and drink a glass of red wine occasionally. But otherwise I have stayed close to W30 and also kept my weight.

The reason for starting another W30 today is not so much to change my eating habits, but rather to clean up my body; conduct a sort of spring cleanse. And I am also curious to see if I will feel as great as I did last time.

Here are my starting stats:

Waist: 31 inches (79 cm)

Weight: 160 pounds (72,8 kilos)

Length: 5'6 (170 cm)

And, as said before, I am starting today and finishing April 22.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAY 1: AN EASY START

This second time is much easier, since I am already familiar with W30. And I have kept most of the eating habits since last time I did a W30.

Still, there are changes. Like breakfast. I always eat the same for breakfast: a piece of whole-grain bread with smoked turkey, a green smoothie with arugula, celery, ½ banana, ½ avocado, fresh lemon, fresh ginger, coconut water and water, an egg and a cup of espresso. But that does not work during W30.

Changing breakfast habits might be the most difficult of all. Lunch and dinner are much easier.

Otherwise I have been working all day. I am a university prof and I have spent the day correcting exams. Not the greatest thing to do on a sunny Saturday, but I have at least taken the time to meditate, work out and practice yoga during the day, so I am OK.

FOOD

B: ½ avocado, ½ grapefruit, 2 eggs & espresso

L: smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, spinach, orange & espresso

D: grilled vegetables with organic sausage and olives, berries

S: bananapancake with berries (post-workout), orange

MOOD

Fine. I have been working all day, but I am not feeling stressed.

MOVE

Crosstrainer + yoga.

MIND

15 min guided meditation.

SLEEP

7,5 hrs. 00.15-07.45. Came home late from a dinner party, but slept fine, despite some neighbors having a party.

DAY 2: ALL THAT WORRY

Woke up in the middle of the night by a phone call from seventeen year old son in USA. He was sad and wanted to come home. Again. It is really tough to be on exchange sometimes, and we have both had a difficult year. Me, because I feel so powerless, he, because it has been a huge cultural shock to move from Stockholm, Sweden to Wichita, Kansas. But I am sure it is really helpful in the future, and I did the same thing myself when I was seventeen.

FOOD

L: grilled vegetables, scrambled eggs, organic gourmet sausage

D: grass-fed steak, steamed broccoli, orange

S: raw bar (PW), orange

MOOD

Worrying at night, angry in the morning, better during the day.

MOVE

Running & weights.

MIND

SLEEP

8 hrs. 23.45-3.45 + 5.00-9.00. Woke up by phone call from son on exchange. Nothing too serious, but enough to keep me awake, worrying for an hour.

DAY 3: BACK TO BODYBUILDING

It is said that this should be one of the toughest days. Not for me. I don't feel anything.

Perhaps it is because I already ate so close to W30? There are not really any big changes in my diet.

But does that also mean that I will not get any effects? That will be slightly disappointing, because last time I felt so great on W30.

FOOD

L: salad with smoked salmon, tomatoes, capers, egg & pear

D: Zoodles Bolognaise (zucchini with sauce bolognaise)

S: egg, tomatoes & organic prosciutto (PW), orange

MOOD

Bored from grading exams all day, but otherwise fine. Had my course in â€Mindful Leadership†at night. It is really exciting. It is so wonderful to be a student myself, for a change. And I love the course!

MOVE

Weights. Again. I am going completely â€back to bodybuilding†again. Forget all functional training in group – I just want to be in the gym, lifting heavy, free weights by myself!

MIND

2 * guided meditations. One by myself, one as part of the course.

SLEEP

9 hrs. 23.45-8.45. Forgot to put the alarm on. Thankfully I had no meetings, only tons of exams to grade...

DAY 4: STATUS QUO

I am not feeling anything today either. No dizziness, no tiredness, no â€carb fluâ€, nothing. Checked back in my last W30-log – and it was the same. I never had any bad symptoms at all; only good ones.

But this time I am not feeling the good ones either. Not yet, at least. I am feeling exactly like I do all the time. No change. Status quo.

FOOD

L: grilled vegetables, organic gourmet sausage & olives

D: steamed broccoli, beef and chili, melon

S: raw bar (PW), orange

MOOD

Fine, I am done grading my big batch of exams. And the sun is still shining (…although it is still snow outside, since October, sometimes I hate living in Scandinavia).

MOVE

HardCORE Yoga. Love that class! And then 120 min walking.

MIND

SLEEP

7,5 hrs. 00.00-07.30. Too late to bed, but slept well.

DAY 5: A PASSION FOR PILATES

It took me a long time, but now I have really developed a passion for pilates. I try to take one or two classes of mat pilates a week, I have the best instructor in the world – and I just love it!

Otherwise, it was a day of bad planning. I had breakfast at 7.30 and lunch at 2:30 pm. Far too long in between, in other words! And I was almost fainting around 2 pm. Sooo stupid!

Tomorrow is another day – of better planning.

FOOD

L: scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, spinach & apple

D: zoodles bolognaise, melon

S: raw bar, orange

MOOD

Fine, especially after my lovely pilates class.

MOVE

Pilates and 60 minutes walking.

MIND

SLEEP

8 hrs. 23.30-7.30. Woke up at 6.15, but went back to sleep.

Good for you! I am also starting my second Whole30 but am much shorter and chunkier than you (I am 5'6" in my dreams!) I'll be following you as you seem to be more self-aware than I am and it is motivating to read your documentation of your first 5 days.

DAY 6: STILL EASY

Slept bad tonight, with lots of strange dreams, and missed my morning spinning class. To sleep is more important than to work out!

Took a long walk and a yoga class instead. Perhaps it was even better, since I am really sore in my hamstrings from the pilates yesterday.

FOOD

L: salad with turkey and steamed broccoli

D: grilled vegetables, organic gourmet sausage & olives

MOOD

OK. Wish I did not have to work over Easter. But I do.

MOVE

Yoga & 60 min walking.

MIND

Yoga instead of meditation.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 23-07, but bad quality. Lots of strange dreams.

DAY 7: OUT OF ENERGY

Had my first major drop of energy today. Took a really tough strength class at the gym, with lots of high interval cardio between the weight sessions – and ran completely out of energy.

That happened last time at W30 as well, and I think I need to eat more carbs.

Also decided to skip my nut butter ban and had an apple with some almond butter after workout. It is such an easy snack!

FOOD

L: smoked salmon, salad, egg, tomatoes & capers

D: lamb roast, grilled vegetables, olives, orange

S: apple with almond butter (PW)

MOOD

Fine, even if I have to work, I am happy that there are no meetings and hardly any e-mails.

MOVE

Strength class at gym with my favorite instructor, who went completely crazy and pushed us all to the limit. Foam-rolling at night, trying to beat the soreness I know will come…

MIND

15 min meditation.

SLEEP

9 hrs. 22.30-07.30. Like a baby (which is a strange expression… my son never slept a full night when he was a baby)

DAY 8: INTENTIONS

Took a spinning class this morning – and the same thing happened again. But I also noticed that the energy returned after a while – and that happened yesterday as well. It is like my body does not find the energy at first with W30. Is it perhaps because it uses other sources of energy? I got good advices in the forum.

And I am making myself a promise, or an intention if you prefer (I am sorry, but I just hate the term â€goalâ€). I will:

- be better at eating carbs, such as sweet potatoes;

- always have a pre- and a post-workout meal consisting of protein & fat before and lean protein after a hard workout.

Otherwise I am having an easy Easter, with no temptations at all, just lots of (real) eggs, lamb, and salmon, as we always eat for Easter here in Sweden.

FOOD

L: beef, broccoli, chili & cashews, pear & espresso

D: lamb, sweet potatoes, and steamed broccoli

S: bananapancake with berries (PW)

MOOD

Lonely. It is the first Easter in 17 years without my son, who is on exchange in Kansas.

MOVE

60 min spinning. Tough.

MIND

15 min meditation.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 23-7.30. Woke up a few times and could not go back to sleep immediately. Worried about lots of things.

DAY 9: NO MAGIC

Doing a second W30 is disappointing. The first time was really magical. I slept better than ever before, I was happy and full of energy. This second time nothing feels different. I have no difficulties, but feel no magic either.

Probably because the change from my everyday eating is minimal. Apart from the slice of whole grain bread every morning and legumes, a glass of red wine or a piece of dark chocolate occasionally, there are no changes at all.

Well, I guess it just proves how right a Paleo-lifestyle is for me!

FOOD

L: lamb, lots of grilled vegetables & olives, pear & espresso

D: salad with salmon, egg, capers, sweet potatoes, tomatoes & olives

S: raw bar (PreW)

MOOD

Good.

MOVE

Sore, so decided to take the day off. Took a 90 min walk after church instead. It was wonderful!

MIND

Prayer & meditation.

SLEEP

7 hrs. 23.30-7.30, but a change to summertime made me miss one

hour. Tired today. Seven hours is not enough. I need my eight! Took

a nap in the afternoon.

The magic will come!

I remember my first whole30, and I did not feel IT until around day 18. I wonder - even though your wheat consumption was limited to one slice every morning, if the amount of gluten you were eating is enough to make you need more time for your system to "cleanse"? I am not sure if this was the same breakfast you ate before your first whole30, but it is something to consider.

Happy Easter Emma!

DAY 10: TIRED

Today I am tired. I stayed up late last night to skype with my seventeen year old son in Kansas, and did not get to bed until 1:30. It was worth it, I miss him a lot! And I am so much looking forward to go over to his graduation in May. We will take a two week roadtrip from Kansas to California, and then he will come with me back to Sweden!!!

I am also so proud of him. He has, among other things, managed to keep such an healthy life-style in Kansas. He soon found out that the food served in his high school was really unhealthy, so he started bringing his own. He makes his own oatmeal every morning, has completely skipped soda and kept the Swedish tradition of only eating sweets on Saturdays. He walks for an hour, to and from school every day, as the only one in the suburb, apparently. He works out six days a week, mixing running and weights, and he seems to be fitter than ever.

FOOD

L: scrambled eggs, organic sausage, tomatoes

D: salad with tuna and egg

S: raw bar, cashews

MOOD

Tired.

MOVE

120 min walking & yoga therapy (for my knee)

SLEEP

6 hrs. 1.30-7.30. Far too little, but it was worth it!

DAY 11: SELF-DESTRUCTION

Today was not a good day – and it was all my own fault. First of all, I woke up too early. It might be W30, but it could also be the change to summertime and the light. I need to put up darker curtains in my bedroom and go to bed earlier!

Then I had breakfast at 7 and lunch not until 1.15. 8 hours in between – that is just crazy. It does not work for me! And I did also walk for an hour in between, to make it even worse. Bad, bad planning!

On top of that, I had to keep the lunch really small, since I had a tough strength workout at 2. And I cannot eat a large lunch right before.

But did I then eat a good recovery meal? No. I went to a cafe with a friend, and there was nothing there I could eat. Nothing. And of course I had forgotten to bring something.

So when I got home at night I was STARVING. I had a large, good dinner at 6, but I kept on starving all night (and dreamt about fish and broccoli), so I had to have a snack at 9.30.

I also had the worst headache and I ran completely out of energy at night. It was my first major down on W30 ever, but it was all my own fault. And I really learnt the lesson of eating well, regularly and a lot!

FOOD

L: tuna salad

D: chicken, broccoli, sweet potatoes

S: cashews, almond butter, pear

MOOD

Went down during the day.

MOVE

60 min walking & Strength (class)

MIND

Meditation as part of my course.

SLEEP

7 hrs. 23.45-6.45. Slept well, but woke up early.

DAY 12: STRESS

It seems like I always have the same theme as the newsletter. Today it is stress. It is my biggest enemy! But at least I take time to walk and work out, no matter what! And that is an improvement!

FOOD

L: chicken, broccoli, sweet potatoes

D: zoodles bolognaise

MOOD

Stressed.

MOVE

90 min walking & Pilates.

MIND

No meditation today, although I really needed it!

SLEEP

9 hrs. 23.15-8.15. Lovely!

DAY 13: STRESSED AGAIN

Stressed again, but at least I keep taking time to walk and to work out, which is so great!

FOOD

L: bolognaise & fried egg

D: tomatoes, avocado, organic prosciutto

S: raw bar, banana with almond butter (PW)

MOOD

Stressed, but much happier after my spinning class!

MOVE

Spinning & 45 min walking.

SLEEP

7,5 hrs. 11.30 – 7.00. Slept well and feel fine!

DAY 14: ROLLER COASTER

Today my mood has been a roller coaster. Felt fine in the morning, took a really tough strength class – and felt bliss afterwards. But then everything went wrong at work – and my mood just went down the drain.

I don't think it is related to W30. Perhaps it is because I have been working so hard recently. I really need a day off, but it will not happen this weekend either.

FOOD

L: smoked salmon, salad, egg

D: organic gourmet sausage, grilled vegetables

S: bananapancake with berries (PW), cashews

MOOD

Roller coaster.

MOVE

Strength (class) & 60 min walking.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 23.30-7.30. Strange dreams about work, of course.

Thanks! Part of it is also me handling stress badly. Yes, I work too many hours (without being paid for overtime, of course). Yes, I have that kind of position where everyone is always mad at me. But I could, of course, let go of it.

An example: I am dean of the undergraduate level at my university, which means I am formally responsible for 1500 students. Last week 130 of the students took off to the Alps, even though they had classes. Especially one professor has gone completely mad and keeps blaming me day and night for not having control of the students.

I could just laugh at it. What can I do? Go down to the Alps and try to find 130 undergrads and bring them home?

But I am so bad at handling this kind of anger. I feel guilty. I feel bad. And it happens all the time, every day, every night. There is always someone who is angry at me: a student, a professor, an administrator. I work 70 hours a week - and all I get is anger and blame in return. And I guess the long work hours does not help me handling the stress. Perhaps I am also overreacting, just because I am too tired.

Unfortunately, I have to work this weekend too. I am so behind with everything. But at least I am trying not to read any e-mails, and focusing on the fun things at work, such as my own research!

And I am taking it a bit easy with the workouts, to let my stressed body rest. Today I will do a yoga class and tomorrow we will see.

DAY 15: TAKING CARE OF MYSELF

After some really stressful days at work, I decided to be nice to myself this weekend. I skipped the alarm and missed my spinning class this morning, but that felt fine. My body needs a rest as well.

I also promised myself not to open or read any work e-mails this weekend. Unfortunately, I had to work, since I am so behind with everything. But I tried to focus on the fun things, on my research instead of administration, for example. And I took plenty of breaks – and it was not so bad. I feel better emotionally today.

And W30 is certainly helping. At least I am eating and sleeping well, even if I still need to find ways of dealing with the stress at work.

However, what is really important to remember is that I have less than three months left in my present position. July 1st, I am back to good old days of just teaching and conducting research! I am so grateful for that and it is only 85 days, 3 hours, and 20 minutes left!

(Yes, I have created my own count-down!)

FOOD

L: organic gourmet sausage, grilled vegetables, scrambled eggs

D: lamb roast, grilled vegetables, olives

S: bananapancake with berries

MOOD

Better.

MOVE

Nope. Recovery.

MIND

Meditation.

SLEEP

8,5 hrs. 00-8.30. Slept well.

DAY 16: PLUS AND MINUS

On the plus side: I finished – finally – grading exams. I had a good workout at the gym. I had coffee and received a gift from a friend, because I have been so miserable lately. And W30 keeps being a simple thing to follow! I have no cravings at all, I sleep really well, and I have lots of energy.

On the minus side: my son is having a really hard time in Kansas. His host mother just told him she would like to shred his real father and that the reason for why he is not having any friends in Kansas, is that he is not American enough. Is that OK? I am really starting to wonder if this whole exchange is a good thing. My poor son! It is also snowing again in Stockholm. And there are still lots of problems at work.

But I am counting down. It is now 84 days left of my job as dean, and 39 days until I see my son again. Life is getting better!

FOOD

L: salmon, spinach and scrambled eggs

D: roasted lamb, grilled vegetables and olives

S: apple with almond butter (PW)

MOOD

Up and down.

MOVE

75 min weights.

SLEEP

8,5 hrs. 00-08.30. Slept well.

Archived