4 days coming up in motel and restaurants: help

DebbieK

OK, I am just starting week 4, and so far have not. cheated. once. And I don't intend to. However, as part of the continuing effort to be kind to myself, I've scheduled a 4-day trip to my favorite beach (Oak Island, NC), sans my teenagers or anyone else, starting on Wednesday. Visions of sitting at the ocean and reading, talking long beach walks, and antiquing at a nearby town. But now I see that it is supposed to be in the 50s and 60s, with occasional rain, for most of my getaway, and I'm worried about becoming restless or bored and the effect that might have on the W30 project, even this late in the 30 days. I'm in a room with a fridge but no stove. Any suggestions on what I can keep on hand in the fridge (I can bring thigns in a large cooler from home, if necessary) and best-bet orders at local "family" restaurants that might not be very sophisticated? I figure I can find eggs anywhere for breakfast, but what would you suggest I look for for lunches and dinners?

Perhaps for lunch you can make salad with tinned tuna or salmon? All those ingredients should be easy enough to find. You can store the salad stuff in the frigge (perhaps take some utensils from homes like a chopping board, knife etc, to make things easier). Depending on how long the trip there is, you could cook some chicken breasts and keep them cool and pop them in the fridge to have with salad too. You could always order an omelette with salad for lunch. For dinners look for grilled meats (steak, chicken, fish etc). Just double check about what they are cooked in. It should be easy enough to request for them to be cooked in olive oil. Ask for salad or vegies and request any dressings to be served on the side (or not at all). I find most restaurants are used to dealing with special diets so don't be afraid to outline what you can and can't eat. Even better, walk around during the day and pop into a place and ask them in advance if they can accommodate your needs. If you take as much compliant food with you as you can, you'll reduce the urge to go hunting for more food which may not be compliant.

My favorite travel/hotel meal is a Pure Wrap coconut wrap with Applegate Farms turkey, avocado and Persian cucumber spear. YUM. I just pack it all my soft sided cooler and assemble when ready to eat. I also cut up extra bell pepper and carrot. I pack a knife and baggy for leftover avocado. Also, make ahead some tuna, salmon or egg salad and eat on cucumber slices. I usually spend an hour or two the evening before we leave prepping food. So nice to have good food at our fingertips - whole30 or not!

I've also contemplated taking my crockpot next time we go. Would be really easy to prep some root veggies, carrot and onion, drop in a roast, a can of diced tomatoes and some seasonings and let it cook all day. Bring some paper plates or reusable, whatever works for you.

We travel a lot.

We bring a large cooler packed with hardboiled eggs, Applegate farms turkey and roast beef, homemade chicken salad, pure wraps, celery and carrot spears, and apples and bananas. We also bring nuts.

On one trip, I packed chili and we ate it every night for dinner for three days straight. (find a hotel with a fridge and microwave - essential!. If not, bring this: http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Housewares-ASP-137-3-Quart-Super/dp/B00024JQ3Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=9IUJ8R6MXIET&coliid=I257BLPJCZB96E ) This little gadget saved us when we had to spend a a MONTH in a motel!

I also carry a small container of mayo and/or salad dressing (lunchbots) with me for restaurant meals - which we only do occasionally anymore, since we both cannot be exposed to gluten.

Hope this helps travelers.

These tips have been very helpful. I have A LOT of business travel coming up in the second half of this year, and I'm sure I can make use of some of these suggestions. Luckily, the "big vacation" will be at a beach house, where I'll have a full kitchen at my disposal. Thanks so much, everyone.

Archived