Started Yesterday (4/8/2013) and On a Roll!

Emily Chiu

Hi Everyone / Bonjour!

I've had the book "It Starts with Food" for months and read/watched a lot of other material on Paleo/Primal eating, plant-based diets, etc. Last week, I had a whimsy thought about doing the Whole30 just for the heck of it. I thought my diet was okay but could be improved. I could bear to lose a good few pounds gained over the winter months. Maybe my psoriasis would even go away with the elimination of wheat. I also love cooking, so I was up for, and even excited about, the challenge of cooking with such restricted food choices.

So I set my mind to it and started the Whole30 yesterday, on April 8, after telling my family and posting about it on FaceBook. I've been sure to take pictures of every meal and post it for friends and family to see. I want to inspire my mom, most importantly, who has high blood pressure and diabetes to do the Whole30 too! These medical conditions appear to run in our family and avoiding this is becoming a priority for me as I get older.

I've also subscribed to the Whole30 Daily which I enjoy reading every morning. Just this evening, I had another whim to post on the Whole9 Forum and voila! Here I am. One of several sharing the journey.

The first two days have gone by well. Temptation really welled up when I walked past a bakery in a supermarket. Otherwise, I survived black coffee. I love learning about new ways to cook eggs. So far, I've had:

Day 1:

• Breakfast: 2 eggs cooked over easy in ghee, pancetta wrapped asparagus, mushrooms sauteed in the pancetta fat, coffee.
  • Lunch: Stir fried chicken, mushrooms and baby bok choy.
  • Dinner: Pan-fried chicken breast in ghee, glazed radish and roasted sweet potato wedges and broccoli.

Breakfast 2:

• Breakfast: 2 egg western omelet cooked in ghee, pancetta wrapped asparagus, sauteed mushrooms.
  • Lunch: leftovers
  • Dinner: Spice-rubbed skirt steak with chimichurri sauce, sauteed mushrooms with thyme and garlic, green beans with almonds and fresh salsa.

Joining the Good Food Box program and the Fresh City Food Box helps to get veggies and fruits in on a weekly basis.

If there are any other Torontonians on this forum, would especially be glad to hear from you!

Cheers!

Emily

If there are any other Torontonians on this forum, would especially be glad to hear from you!

I'm also a Torontonian. I started my Whole 30 on April 1st. Good luck with yours. Looks like you are off to a great start.

I'm also a Torontonian. I started my Whole 30 on April 1st. Good luck with yours. Looks like you are off to a great start.

Thanks! So far, so good. I love cooking so this is a great challenge to make good, simple, wholesome food that tastes great.

Wow! I want to see your pictures of food! Your meals sound outstanding!

Here's my Day 4 Dinner (in a dash): Western Omelet (2 eggs, chopped onion, mushroom and yellow bell pepper, salt, pepper, ghee) with fresh salsa (cilantro, onion, garlic, lime juice, tomatoes, salt), guacamole (avocados, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, salt, lime, onion) and Catalan spinach (olive oil, spinach, cranberries, pine nuts, salt, pepper).

post-20978-0-77884000-1365731419_thumb.j

I love Western Omelets, regardless of whether I'm on the Whole 30 or not.

Archived