Hello, folks!

Terresa

My name is Terresa and I am on Day 7. This, following 2 years of low starch eating. I am a little over 45 and have lived with a neuro-immune disease for 9 years. I have 4 kids, 2 step-kids, and a step-grandbaby. (mom and baby don't live with us, or this house would really be overflowing!)

I found this site and have been reading through for a few days, but it was my question to myself this morning of just giving up on Paleo that made me join. I hope that I can get past my frustration and that it helps me.

Wishing you all well!

T~

So glad you're seeking support! I guess I'm on Day 6 today, I almost started crying while prepping dinner last night. I made two different dinners: stir-fry and shrimp for myself and my husband (whole30) and one for our 3 kids. (Thai rice noodles with light seasoning). Not hard, but the fact of making two different meals had me in the "I'm going to throw in the towel" attitude. Are you "in" this on you're own or with some or all in your household?

Hi, Jinkse21 and Moeshe.

Moeshe, I understand your frustration. I'm in this on my own. The rest of the family know I have a medical need to avoid high starch. They've seen the pain it causes me. But for the rest, they think it's a bit over the top. I've been preparing separate meals for just over 2 years now, so I know how much extra effort it is. Not to mention the feelings of being denied that happen from time to time. At least with the starch issue, the pain was more than enough to make me avoid grains! Dairy is a bit harder for me.

I think you made a key point Terresa when you mentioned how avoiding high starch is worth the extra effort of preparing different meals for you vs. family. That would be a motivator to keep me going at least. 2 years! That's making fortitude a verb. And even if some believe it's over the top--isn't the idea of resetting our immune systems on a Whole30 exciting? I have a rare autoimmune skin disorder with no known cure (but it doesn't cause me pain) and I'm hoping I can stay the spread of it through this diet. We'll see. I hope as you press forward daily, that in a few weeks you may witness changes in your overall system that are healthier than before. Oh, and dairy is/was hard for me too. I miss great chocolate and cheese on Mexican food. Milk was harder, but after 2 wks. of this in April and a week now, I don't miss milk as much. I hope you have a great day!

You too! And I hope this helps you as well!

Yes, I miss cheese and chocolate too! But taking away the milk has been surprisingly easy for me. Ice cream has always been my downfall though (especially chocolate!), but I know that I'm better off without all that sugar and dairy! And I will use that as my mantra when that particular craving hits. :lol:

But, yes, the hope of resetting our poor, struggling immune systems is an awesome motivation! May be both (and everyone else on this path) find renewed health!

Archived