Anyone else with fructose/lactose/fat malabsorption?

I've had this triple whammy for 3 years after getting pneumonia and been bombarded with antibiotics and steroids. Too much fructose, lactose or fat leaves me feeling very sick, with flu like symptoms and terrible nausea. I manage most of the time by following a FODMAP diet but I'm wondering if eating extra fat such as coconut oil will be ok? I also have hep b so my poor liver needs to be able to cope with it as well. Cheers (metaphorically that is)!!!

We aren't doctors, so definitely check in with him before making huge changes, but people generally don't have issues with coconut oil.

Have you had your gallbladder removed by any chance? If you have, your ability to digest fats is totally compromised. Supplementing with some digestive enzymes or just ox bile before a fatty meal might help.

Additionally, how's your pro and prebiotic intake? Fodmaps is a good intervention protocol, but ideally we'd like to get the problem solved so you can enjoy food again, and not worry about its impact on your gut function.

I think I may have figured out my problem. when I switched to a paleo diet i got really sick with flu like symptoms and muscle and joint pain. I had a thought last week that it might have been the amount of fat in my diet but had nothing to back that up. I have never heard of anyone having flu like symtoms from food before. This gives me hope and now I will have to put the theory to the test. i have been having nothing but green shakes and veggies for a week now because pork ribs set it off last week. i was terrified to eat.

Deb some people do get flu symptoms when they switch to paleo (it's called carb flu) so it may not be the pork. If you do suspect you may have fat malabsorption you need to go to your doc and get tested. I lost 10kgs and was really sick before they figured out what was wrong with me. Marissa I've found that a lot of the most popular paleo style favorites such as sweet potato, cauliflower, coconut milk etc can make me feel really bad if I have too much. I feel your pain! Thanks for your replies x

Archived