clarified butter

laurobnat

So I took the time to clarify some butter this weekend.  It came out well, poured into a jar and stuck it in the frig.  Went to use it and it was rock hard!  I don't know what I expected but I didn't expect to it become hard like that.  Do you all keep your clarified butter in the frig?  Did I screw it up?

thx

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators
12 minutes ago, Beach Cruzer said:

I made my clarified butter from Kerrygold and it rock hard from the refrigerator (which I expected) but is VERY soft - actually runny - at room temperature.  Any ideas what I did wrong?

What makes you think that it's wrong?  When I buy it from the store, depending on how warm my house is, it can get pretty soupy...

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2014 at 6:49 PM, GFChris said:

You didn't screw it up.

Take it out of the fridge and leave it on the counter. That's where I store mine, out of direct sunlight.

So.....are you supposed to store clarified butter on the counter out of direct sunlight before you use it? Or store it on the counter out of direct sunlight all the time? (I'm not a cook, by any means, but I'm trying to learn, so I ask some seemingly-simple questions sometimes.)

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CTGeorge said:

So.....are you supposed to store clarified butter on the counter out of direct sunlight before you use it? Or store it on the counter out of direct sunlight all the time? (I'm not a cook, by any means, but I'm trying to learn, so I ask some seemingly-simple questions sometimes.)

I personally would not leave it on the counter in the summer... I do leave lard on the counter tho so I guess it's the same thing, the problem with the ghee being that if you got a titch of water in it or didn't strain out aaaaaaallllll the dairy solids, it can go bad... You could take some out of the big container, put it in a dish on the counter that's enough for say, a week, which would prevent it going bad over time... I used to do that with the lard and then I got lazy... either way it's up to you because straight fat on the counter is not going to go bad... remember the grandmas that used to keep bacon drippings in a can under the sink?  Same thing :)

Archived