Problems with sugar after my first Whole 30

So I just finished my first Whole 30 a few weeks ago (actually, it was technically a Whole 20, but I still reaped some benefits), and now I'm really sensitive to sugar. Since I've finished, I had a few very low sugar paleo cookies (1/4 cup honey in a batch of 12) and one Vosges milk chocolate bar, and both times they left me feeling nauseated and then had a sugar crash a few hours later. The crash I understand, but the nauseous feeling? I never expected that.

I know, I know, it's easy to say "but that's a good thing! It'll keep you away from sugar!" Which is true to a certain extent, but I don't actually want to never eat a single cookie or scoop of ice cream ever again. Is it normal to have this reaction after completely cutting out sugar for a while? Is this the way it will always feel from now on?

Something happened to me after my first or second whole30...similar to you, some foods would make me sick. Milk for instance makes me itchy and destroys my stomach...I was initially thinking i'd re-add regular raw milk to my diet after my whole30, but now I just exclude it almost completely. It got me thinking...is this an adaptive response? Is that feeling telling me that I'm eating something my body doesn't like? I think so. But what's interesting is how much stronger our mental cravings and "needs" can be than our physical ones...so much so that you still want those cookies and ice cream even though you know they make you feel crappy! Riding your own bike is about knowing exactly what you're learning and figuring out how to make decisions based on it so kudos to you for recognizing it! You just have to decide which consequences are worth it to you.

I have a colleague who has yet to go on a Whole 30 but has modified her eating habits extensively and has seen tremendous results to her health and weight loss. Just this past Friday, she had 2 pancakes at a staff breakfast. Hours later, she was complaining of an upset stomach and "the shakes".

Archived