Timeline twister

CharliMcFarli100

So, I'm half way through my first Whole30 and thought I'd share my timeline so far as it's been a little 'different' to that which seems to be experienced by the many others.

Day1 - Wooo! Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy! And a very puzzled but happy husband at the appearance of three meals a day. Yes, we used to love a sarnie at lunchtime...

Day 2 - Worst. Headache. Ever. Absolutely crippling. And the raging thirst begins. I used to drink a lot of tea so presume this is down to caffeine and sugar deprevation. Multiple litres of H2O now being consumed.

Days 4&5 - Total food boredom and confusion. Boredom this early worried me. Could I make another three weeks? I was gagging when trying to eat yet more chicken and realised that vegetable buying had become routine. Time to dive into some Whole30 recipes and adjust favourites that weren't. Have re-discovered butternut squash (yum!) and concluded I do not like sweet potato. Bleurgh. Got 3 left over if anybody wants them...

And then the confusion. Why is there sugar in EVERYTHING?! Can I eat this? Is this food ok? Not being relaxed whilst cooking just felt counter-intuitive. A big period of adjustment and renewing my confidence in what to buy, prepare and eat that has continued. Being able to dip into the Whole30 and Nom Nom Paleo recipes has been awesome. Plus my mates doing the Whole 30 are also fab.

Days 3-6 - Cramps. My legs and lower back felt like they were being eaten by an invisible animal. Having recently had flu, I did start to think I was having a relapse and got a little panicked. Then a friend and fellow Whole30-er pointed out it may be bad carb flu. I did used to eat oats and yoghurt for breakfast - double whammy - and bread with lunch, so I upped the water even more and had to take some pain killers to get through it. Day 6 was a Sunday and I had already decided that if the pain didn't ease, I couldn't carry on...  :unsure:

Day 7 - A little bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Awoke without cramps and had a bit more energy. Those carb flu demons must have heard me! Made Ghee - yay! Messed up mayonnaise - boo!

Day 8 - A week in. No real cravings yet and energy continuing to build. But I was spending all day thinking about and cooking food. I guess it's important given it's what we put in our bodies, but I really wanted it to come a bit more naturally. Turns out you need patience for this...

Day 9 - Realisation that day 10 includes a meal out = me spending ages pouring over the menu to make sure I can actually eat something from it. Energy levels still good. Even managed to tackle some vicious weeds in the garden. I did, however, lose a fight with a blackberry bush and get a smack in the mouth from a very established Honeysuckle. Nature fights back.  ^_^

Day 10 - First meal out. Tapas. Bloomin' lovely. And no quips from my dinner buddy about not drinking. Plus the bill was cheaper! It didn't occur to me how much a tipple, swift half, pint of this, glass of that, etc., was ingrained in the British psyche when we eat out. When I mention I'm abstaining without why, the first reaction from several friends iss to ask whether I was pregnant!  :o

Day 11 - Feel smug at waking up without the grogginess usually generated by drinks the night before. Now, I'd like to point out I don't live in the pub. I like a drink - particularly a nice English Ale - but don't often drink at home, except when entertaining, and can't generally only manage a couple before I've had enough these days. Must be getting old...

Day 12&13 - About that entertaining... Saturday and friends due for dinner. and stay over One can eat a whole cow and the other is a strict vegetarian. So, a big beef wellington, plus whole roasted celeriac (can provide recipe for both if anybody wants). PS., I didn't eat the pastry but my word, was I craving a glass of wine! And cake. But the craving for a social drink was stronger. Which I guess reinforces that our cravings are often behavioural and associated with occasion.

Day 14 - Whoa! Where did this energy come from? Errands, shopping, cooking, tidying, 2k run - first since having flu - a bit of focus on searching for a new job. Is this early Tiger Blood?

Day 15/today - Answer to the previous question? Er, no. False alarm. No inclination to do anything this morning. A grey day and a work call to hang around for smack in the middle of the day. Plus workmen potentially turning up so a bit 'stuck indoors'. Although that sun is starting to poke through... Maybe it's time for round 2 with the weeds...

Here's to a more relaxed and pain free second half. Just wondering where those crazy dreams are and whether they will include Robert Downey Jr...  :D

Well done on surviving the first half. I can't wait to hear how your second half goes.

My daughter and I are officially at the end of day 30 tonight. We did exceptionally well, and feel amazing.

I did have a couple of dreams, which was strange because I've never dreamt about food in my life. The first one was in the first week, and I ate the biggest slice of cream cake, with zero guilt. Then I talked my daughter into having a piece. Neither of us like cream cake in real life, so that was strange.

Then around the second week, I dreamt that someone gave me a block of chocolate and before I could even think about a square appeared in my mouth.. oops.. then I screamed out NOOOOO!!! and spat it out. :lol:

So, I'm half way through my first Whole30 and thought I'd share my timeline so far as it's been a little 'different' to that which seems to be experienced by the many others.

Day1 - Wooo! Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy! And a very puzzled but happy husband at the appearance of three meals a day. Yes, we used to love a sarnie at lunchtime...

Day 2 - Worst. Headache. Ever. Absolutely crippling. And the raging thirst begins. I used to drink a lot of tea so presume this is down to caffeine and sugar deprevation. Multiple litres of H2O now being consumed.

Days 4&5 - Total food boredom and confusion. Boredom this early worried me. Could I make another three weeks? I was gagging when trying to eat yet more chicken and realised that vegetable buying had become routine. Time to dive into some Whole30 recipes and adjust favourites that weren't. Have re-discovered butternut squash (yum!) and concluded I do not like sweet potato. Bleurgh. Got 3 left over if anybody wants them...

And then the confusion. Why is there sugar in EVERYTHING?! Can I eat this? Is this food ok? Not being relaxed whilst cooking just felt counter-intuitive. A big period of adjustment and renewing my confidence in what to buy, prepare and eat that has continued. Being able to dip into the Whole30 and Nom Nom Paleo recipes has been awesome. Plus my mates doing the Whole 30 are also fab.

Days 3-6 - Cramps. My legs and lower back felt like they were being eaten by an invisible animal. Having recently had flu, I did start to think I was having a relapse and got a little panicked. Then a friend and fellow Whole30-er pointed out it may be bad carb flu. I did used to eat oats and yoghurt for breakfast - double whammy - and bread with lunch, so I upped the water even more and had to take some pain killers to get through it. Day 6 was a Sunday and I had already decided that if the pain didn't ease, I couldn't carry on...  :unsure:

Day 7 - A little bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Awoke without cramps and had a bit more energy. Those carb flu demons must have heard me! Made Ghee - yay! Messed up mayonnaise - boo!

Day 8 - A week in. No real cravings yet and energy continuing to build. But I was spending all day thinking about and cooking food. I guess it's important given it's what we put in our bodies, but I really wanted it to come a bit more naturally. Turns out you need patience for this...

Day 9 - Realisation that day 10 includes a meal out = me spending ages pouring over the menu to make sure I can actually eat something from it. Energy levels still good. Even managed to tackle some vicious weeds in the garden. I did, however, lose a fight with a blackberry bush and get a smack in the mouth from a very established Honeysuckle. Nature fights back.  ^_^

Day 10 - First meal out. Tapas. Bloomin' lovely. And no quips from my dinner buddy about not drinking. Plus the bill was cheaper! It didn't occur to me how much a tipple, swift half, pint of this, glass of that, etc., was ingrained in the British psyche when we eat out. When I mention I'm abstaining without why, the first reaction from several friends iss to ask whether I was pregnant!  :o

Day 11 - Feel smug at waking up without the grogginess usually generated by drinks the night before. Now, I'd like to point out I don't live in the pub. I like a drink - particularly a nice English Ale - but don't often drink at home, except when entertaining, and can't generally only manage a couple before I've had enough these days. Must be getting old...

Day 12&13 - About that entertaining... Saturday and friends due for dinner. and stay over One can eat a whole cow and the other is a strict vegetarian. So, a big beef wellington, plus whole roasted celeriac (can provide recipe for both if anybody wants). PS., I didn't eat the pastry but my word, was I craving a glass of wine! And cake. But the craving for a social drink was stronger. Which I guess reinforces that our cravings are often behavioural and associated with occasion.

Day 14 - Whoa! Where did this energy come from? Errands, shopping, cooking, tidying, 2k run - first since having flu - a bit of focus on searching for a new job. Is this early Tiger Blood?

Day 15/today - Answer to the previous question? Er, no. False alarm. No inclination to do anything this morning. A grey day and a work call to hang around for smack in the middle of the day. Plus workmen potentially turning up so a bit 'stuck indoors'. Although that sun is starting to poke through... Maybe it's time for round 2 with the weeds...

Here's to a more relaxed and pain free second half. Just wondering where those crazy dreams are and whether they will include Robert Downey Jr...  :D

I enjoy reading others timelines. I also just finished my 30 days yesterday. You got this! I totally relate to your day 4&5. Mine happened a bit later. But spicing up your recipes is important. AND the realizations that sugar is is EVERYTHING is also a great "aha" moment! I think that was the biggest change for me was just a general awareness of what is in the foods I'm eating.

Keep up the good work. You already got through some of the hardest parts (the out to eat part, especially!)  :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, by way of an update, I'm approaching the last few hours of Day 30 and I definitely see it as the end of the beginning.

The last 10-15 days have been relatively easy. Maybe because I had a rough start, the cosmos balanced things out for me. There were one or two occasions where I nearly ate my own elbow because we were out and about and couldn't find anywhere open that offered food I could eat. But, my elbows are happy to be intact and I am getting used to the 'I'm ok, I'm ok, I'm ok, HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!' cycle that Whole30/paleo produces. 

I haven't had any cravings or weird dreams - other than the one about hiding the dead body... No, really. For some reason, I kept putting 'it' in the water, but the tidal system kept brining it back. Maybe that has something to do with food cravings and doing the wrong thing doesn't end well...??  :o

I'm enjoying my food and my energy levels are high. I'm back on the treadmill after the flu I had before starting Whole30 and have gone from 2k to 3.5k in around 5-6 runs. 3.5k is the furthest I've run and it feels good!

Could I put hand on heart and say I've avoided 100% of what I should have. No. But then, so much of the food we buy is loaded with nasties. But my best endeavours mean I feel better, my psoriasis has cleared and my clothes fit much better. In fact, some are loose!

I do wonder how I would have coped with Whole30 if I'd been working full time and commuting. I doubt it would have gone well, as I think the programme asks for an investment in yourself, your food and the thought process around it all. In a way, it's helped me re-assess a few priorities. I don't want to be cramming a sandwich because I haven't got time to make/find anything else. The message that food either makes you healthy or unhealthy has really stuck with me. I think for some who want perfect health, the perfect body, etc., there is a belief the answer lies somewhere much more complex. And I know for many, their circumstances are difficult because of medical or emotional issues. But it really is simple. Think about what you're eating and jump around to keep your bones and body strong.

Now I get to stop counting the days and just keep on keeping on. Hurrah!

Archived