Worried about feeling starving/overwhelmed

Hello all, today is my first day and I'm worried about the nursing marathons and feeling starving and then wanting to eat and eat.  I know a big part of it is that food is grounding for me and sometimes I feel drained when my toddler (19 months) nurses and nurses and also just having a toddler can be frustrating at times (although so wonderful don't get me wrong).  My son often prefers to nurse rather than eat real food and nurse loads despite eating real food.  As I'm writing this I know a big part of it comes down to planning and making sure my fridge is stocked with good, readily accessible food.  But what about when it's more emotional and I can't call a friend or do anything like that.  When I'm stuck with a fussy baby attached to my hip.  I'd love any mama's tips that have done with Whole30 while nursing a toddler.  Thanks! 

• Administrators

Not a parent but in terms of Whole30'ing while breastfeeding, you will likely need at least four full sized meals every day as well as keeping your fats high by sipping on coconut milk or eating olives during the day.  Eating an avocado with a spoon would also be an option.  Make sure you're getting at least one serving per day of starchy veggie and make sure that your water intake is at least half an ounce per pound of your bodyweight (ie, if you weigh 160#, drink 80 ounces of water.)

I have done a Whole 30 while nursing a toddler and now eat pretty Whole30 style while nursing my second, so hopefully I can help!  The biggest thing for me is I don't stick to the 3 meals a day template so I don;t get over hungry.  I for sure have four and always have a pre and post workout snack.  I've done Whole30 long enough to know when my body says I'm hungry, I truly am hungry and not tired, thirsty, stressed, etc. so that might be a little harder this go around for you, but remember you are sustaining another life so you need to EAT. 

Having three kids and working full-time, I am busy (like you).  My husband works night shift so many nights I get home late from work and have to put the kids to bed before dinner.  On those nights, I go simple so I don't grab junk.  Eggs and sauteed veggies w/some sunshine sauce or an avocado are a go-to meal for me.  I also keep hard boiled eggs ready so at times I'll grab one of those and eat it before putting the kids to bed and I get my real meal.

As far as the emotional thing, I wouldn't be surprised if you find eating this way automatically helps with that.  I've noticed now when I'm stressed, I will crave sugar, sure, but not give in to it because I know how I can't stop once I start it (complete food without breaks for me) and how crappy I'll feel the next day... so, I reach for something quick like a sausage, carrot sticks and some avocado slices.  You're right, it does come down to planning which is so easy to say but harder to do, but I think having some easy 'meals' in your back pocket are key when you're short on time to prep and/or actually eat!  There are times when I've had eggs for 3-4 meals in a row, obviously not the greatest but better than something non-compliant to me!

Hi! On round 2 right now and still nursing my 14mo. She sounds similar - LOVES to nurse!

I would echo the other responses. Eat. Eat a LOT. Go simple too! Snack throughout the day if that helps, drink extra water if possible - maybe go light on dehydrating teas and coffee?

We do a lot of frozen veggies, turkey burgers, big pots of stew that last a few days, etc. I eat plenty of yellow and sweet potatoes too. I've read that starchy vegetables help with all of this.

Apples and sunbutter, carrot chips and salsa or guacamole, handfuls of nuts, larabars... I love not worrying about counting calories.

Good luck!

Archived