Day 15 stomach issues

annon73

I. Am. So. Frustrated.

This is my 4th whole30. On each previous one I focused on one thing at a time and this one I was finally ready to do it all right! I wake up, cook breakfast at home and eat 30 min after waking, I eat my lunch w/ no snacking, then make a great dinner. I'm on day 16 and I've had diarrhea for the past week! The first few days I had headaches, then I was sleepy, then some cravings now I'm having food dreams plus so much stomach pain in the am! It's making me want to quit bc really how long can you have this going on and think this food I'm eating is still doing good? I never have guy issues after my whole30 and this year from thanksgiving to Christmas I ate a lot of crap with no issues. So what gives!?!? I want to try eliminating things until I figure out what's making me sick but I don't even know what to cut out!!!!!

M1: most days is 3 eggs, onion, sweet potato, spinach, sometimes one or two bacon pieces

M2: salad a lot (mon-wed), I tried cutting out salad to see if it helped, no such luck. The last two days I had left over stuffed peppers (bel pepper, ground beef, kale, zucchini, spices) usually end my meal with handful mixed nuts that are stocked in bulk in our break rm

M3: this week:

-stuffed pepper with homemade salsa, avocado and sweet potato

-chicken apple sausage with zucchini and yellow squash and avocado

- chicken soup (chicken, carrots, celery, pearl onions) with avocado and white potatoes

-grilled chicken salad with Apple, walnut, avocado..

-burger, eggplant, bacon, homemade salsa, avocado, white potato

So the only consistent food is 1/2 avocado everyday with dinner and probably a handful of nuts, then I feel sick every morning. I wake up at 6, struggle through breakfast feeling awful then by 8 am I usually feel better then I feel fine the rest of the day. But I can't handle waking up with diahrrea anymore.. It's painful and sucky and limiting my mornings!!!

Please help with suggestions on what I should eliminated? This week I'll take out avocado with dinner and maybe the mixed nuts too. If I eliminate potatoes, any suggestions for another good starchy veggie?

Please help!!

• Moderators

I am sorry.

First, take an over-the-counter anti-diarrhea medicine to help slow things down. Medication is useful to end things fast rather than waiting for nature to take its course. Nature is rarely in a hurry. :)

You were right to suspect salad. All raw veggies are hard on digestion and can provoke diarrhea. When having stomach problems, it is safest to favor cooked veggies because they digest easier than other things. Also, nuts are hard on digestion. The crunchiness that you enjoy in your mouth continues into your gut and can cause trouble. Eliminating nuts is a good choice for now.

I love kale and have been known to eat it three times per day. However, I have often gotten diarrhea when I eat it three times per day even when I cook it. So, nowadays, I mostly eat kale only once or twice per day even when I have a lot of it. 

Any food that you only eat while doing a Whole30 is suspect. Or anything you eat much more of than at other times. Avocado is a possibility. Potatoes/nightshades might be an issue, but you would almost certainly have had problems during your earlier Whole30s if they were an issue for you. Other good starchy veggies to try are rutabagas, parsnips, turnips, plantains.

So glad I found this (not because you aren't feeling well though!). I'm having some similar stomach pain. It's not resulting in diarreah but more a really constant pain. I had suspected nuts (including coconut) which I have perhaps over indulged in 2-3 days ago and then was in pain pretty constantly all day yesterday all the way until I went to sleep. Also had a really bloated and sensitive to the touch stomach. Seems a bit less intense this morning but definitely not gone. Going to lay off the coconut products (do you think this should include coconut milk? I'm assuming) and raw nuts for a few days. I can't point to anything else out of the ordinary that would have brought on something so extremely and suddenly.

Thanks for posting! I hope you feel better soon.

Archived