Type 1 diabetes and low blood sugar

• Moderators

Over time, if you're eating meals based on the meal template, you should find you don't have a lot of lows or highs anymore. I know we have some diabetics who are active on the forum, hopefully some of them can weigh in and give you an idea of how long that might take or what helps them.

If you usually take glucose tablets for lows and know they help, you can do that -- obviously they aren't whole30, but we don't want you passing out or anything, so it would be like taking a medicine. Whole30 compliant items that would help would be fruit or fruit juice -- the juice should work faster than eating fruit if you need the fastest option.

I'd get in contact with your Endo with diet changes and maybe ask how to adjust insulin easily. You may find that you need less (and I imagine your bank account will thank you!)

While I was pregnant with my ds, I kept juicy juice by my bed because i woke up 4 or 5 times with low blood sugar (and I had to adjust my insulin down after that!) and I don't like the taste of glucose tabs (which I guess is good since I don't need to eat them often) 

dates are pretty rapid, high sugar fruits that are compliant. 

I'm on a pump too and experienced a lot of lows when I first went on this diet.  Working with my diabetes educator, I decreased my basal insulin 10% at a time for the problem time periods over a few days to get my blood sugars right.

I always carry small juicy juice containers with me.  They are exactly 15 grams of fast-acting carbohydrates, and when I retest myself 15 minutes later, my blood sugar is almost always back within range.  I believe they are compliant, and they are always what the diabetes educators will recommend to spike your blood sugar right away.

Being on this diet has helped me have much more consistent blood sugar readings (and a lot less lows than I had before on the SAD).  

• 2 months later...

Do you know your carb ratio? Personally, this is why I have avoided going on a pump is that I want to have more control over my insulin and know how to adjust it depending on the food I am taking. 

I let myself have juice boxes as needed to help with lows when doing whole30. but for not crucial lows (like the 4ish range (canadian diabetic here!) I would eat a banana. 

Hope that helps! 

Archived