4th day of starting and screwing up!

Slou

I'm getting so frustrated. Every day I've tried to start I've screwed something up and had to start over the next day and now instead of Dec 1 to Jan 1 I'm going to have to go until Jan 4 (if I don't screw up again!) first it was a zinc cough drop that I didn't think about and was loaded with sugar. The next day I used rice bran oil to make my hash browns. Then a bite of a chicken tender when I didn't think about having breading, and I stupidly did that again today because I guess I'm so used to grazing on the kids' leftovers and not thinking about it. Which is a good reason for me to be doing this plan, but it's hard not to be a little hopeless right now. Especially after I baked 2 trays of rice krispy treats, 2 trays of cookies, 48 iced cupcakes and brownies yesterday without trying a single bite or licking a finger! I was so proud of myself and then I did something as stupid as a bite of chicken tender. 

Any moral support to keep going would be much appreciated!

• Moderators

Baking all of that and not licking your fingers or tasting any of it is amazing! That is something to celebrate.

Many people have false starts before they finally get it right. At least this is at the beginning of your Whole30, not halfway through it. Just think of it as a learning period. Now you know how important it is to pay attention to everything and to read every label.

Can you separate out the stuff you can have from the stuff you can't? Move the rice bran oil somewhere out of the way, so you don't pick it up accidentally, and be sure your olive oil, coconut oil, or other W30 choices for cooking oil are conveniently placed. Do the same with other stuff in your kitchen and pantry. I've heard of people even boxing up the non-Whole30 stuff and storing it out of the way somewhere -- that's not always an option when you live other people, but if there are things that you can do that with, that can help. For things you have to leave available that aren't W30, designate separate shelves/drawers for things that you can have and things you can't, so you don't even have to look at the other stuff when you go to get your food.

You can do this!

You might think about being kinder to yourself. Practice this month and join the 1/1 whole 30.  Or, engage your kids (with or without their knowledge) and make whole30 versions of their favorites.  This is a hard time to start.  You've done wonderfully not licking your fingers!  If its not crucial to your health, have a mindful holiday season and start 1/1 with a bunch of us. It will be my 6th!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I completely understand the reason for the all or nothing approach but it's hard to not feel like giving up when such tiny slips put you back at square one. I'm undecided about whether or not to relax for the rest of this month and start 1/1, I worry that that's setting a bad precedent of letting myself off the hook. I've never done a diet before or a cleanse because I don't really like meat or vegetables much so besides eggs this has been really tough. Again thank you so much for the support, it is the encouragement I needed!

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Slou said:

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I completely understand the reason for the all or nothing approach but it's hard to not feel like giving up when such tiny slips put you back at square one. I'm undecided about whether or not to relax for the rest of this month and start 1/1, I worry that that's setting a bad precedent of letting myself off the hook. I've never done a diet before or a cleanse because I don't really like meat or vegetables much so besides eggs this has been really tough. Again thank you so much for the support, it is the encouragement I needed!

If you do decide to relax for the rest of the month, you could spend the time trying new recipes and getting used to mostly eating this way, especially following the meal template, but not worrying too much about times you are out somewhere or if you get a little sugar in something. Maybe think of it as easing into things, and having a chance to get your family more used to this too, so that even if they're not doing W30 with you, you can maybe avoid having to cook two entirely separate meals for yourself and them.

Archived