Portion Question - I can't eat that much!

I'm on Day 9 and doing well and feeling pretty good! My question is about the meal template and recommended portions of food per meal - I seriously can't eat that much in one meal. Is there a way to scale the portions back? And yes, I'm still snacking a bit (although ALOT less that pre Whole30) but I've always been a person that eats frequently due to a high metabolism. So do people force themselves to eat more during meals, even if not hungry? Thanks for any suggestions!

• Administrators

The meal template is a range, @tulane_nola. Are you saying you can't eat a palm of protein, a cup of veggies and some fat?

Can you give us some examples of what you are eating/trying to eat and how this is different from your previous eating habits? 

If you are hungry between meals sooner than 4-5 hours, it's because you either aren't eating enough or your meals aren't properly composed. As a blind guess and in my experience, probably not enough fat, too much fruits? Maybe not eating breakfast within an hour of waking? Does any of that sound familiar? Are you exercising and if so at what intensity? Are you including pre and post workout foods? How are your "snacks" composed? 

HAHA ok, looked at meal template again, and think I read it wrong. It says "Add fat in the following recommended amounts per meal:" and then has a bunch of bullets. I had been eating fine, but when I relooked at the template yesterday I thought it meant to eat ALL of those bullets per meal. Don't worry, I didn't actually try it but interpreted it to mean I wasn't eating enough per meal. I get it now, although honestly that could be a bit clearer LOL.

I eat about 1 fist size protein, good amount of veggies (although could be better), and then usually some avocado or nuts. I haven't tried the butters yet. Then I sometimes have a bit of fruit too, but definitely not too much. And I wish I was exercising, but that hasn't happened yet!

• Administrators

Haha, ya, the fat part of the meal template has long bugged the moderators of this forum and confused many members. LOL. 

Note, the protein serving is palm sized though, not fist sized. So the length, width and thickness of your own palm. We recommend nuts to be limited to one closed handful every other day or so and even less for the nut butters etc. Nut products can be a slippery slope of hard to stop, digestive distress and unbalanced fat ratios. They're not against the law, but they are meant to be limited. 

Eat your fruits with a meal and only after the rest of the meal template has been satisfied (ie, don't let fruit push away veggies). Finally, if you do need to eat between meals, go for a mini meal of protein, fat and veggies. If you can't manage all of that, try for protein and fat (eg, hard boiled egg & mayo) or protein and veggie (eg. carrot sticks and a chicken thigh).

Thanks that is very helpful. I don't think I've been as vigilant about the portions and meal make-up as I have been about the ingredients. So I'll start now and appreciate the suggestions.

And seriously, that template needs a refresh! It should say "Add fat to each meal by choosing one of the below options in the recommended amounts:" Geez.

Archived