Small red scattered bumps/hives

Hey everyone!

I have done whole30 in the past. Currently, I am 2 weeks into the program for the third time and I started back up because of a strange rash that started at work. 

It appears on my legs, lower arms/back of elbows & hands, and sometimes my stomach if something rubs against it. It is SO ITCHY. I had to leave my new job because I couldn't stop itching and was miserable. I can't afford that! They look like pimples without a whitehead. Small, raised and scattered sporadically. It doesn't look too much like eczema of dermatitis formatitis (sp?.. the celiac disease one).

Has anyone had an undiagnosed rash for awhile? What did it end up being?

I've been to the doctor's office and dermatologist. I've heard it's contact dermatitis because of my detergent (even though it also occurred on my arms past where my short sleeves hits) and possibly something I'm eating. I cut out caffiene because the derm said it could cause allergies. I don't eat MSG or dyes on a regular basis. The only artificial sweetener I have is possibly my Orbit gum. 

I was put on prednisone taper, given steroid shots and steroid cream. I'm off my prednisone (after starting a taper three times now)... and it's still here. My dermatologist said I should take both Allegra and Zytec every day for a month to reduce my histamine and see if it goes away. I don't want to take any medications. :( The combo does stop it from itching, but it is still present and I can see more spots popping up since I got off my steroids a couple days ago. 

Has this happened to you?! What was your strategy to narrow it down? 

Thank you!

51767985143__63DE8627-DCE8-419F-8B3C-B9CE61251EA5.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

• Moderators

No one here is a medical professional as you know, so it's not possible for us to give you an idea of what the rash is.

That said, you may want to look at a low histamine shopping list if your doctor is thinking that this is a histamine problem... I would also absolutely take the otc meds until you feel better... not wanting to take meds is fair and for the most part I also don't, but if you quit a job because of the problem, that's awfully extreme and I think I would do everything in my power including temporary otc meds to manage it.

Here's the low histamine shopping list from the Whole30.  You can also fine info on low histamine on StupidEasyPaleo as I believe her hubby suffers from histamine intolerance.

I can empathize with you. I don't have what you have exactly and like the moderators said, no one can diagnose on here. However, I had hives (eventually ruled Chronic idiopathic urticaria) for 3 years off and on, mostly on.  I was on 4 prescriptions and had regular rounds of steroids and shots of steroids. My lips and eyes would swell so bad I looked like my husband beat me.  They covered my whole body and at its worst I remember thinking I just really could not deal with it much longer. I know what you are feeling. I know that doesn't help make it go away, but the frustration of not knowing what is causing it or how to stop it is awful. There could be any number of things causing it, in my case...sleep...I changed my mattress and haven't had it since. Unless I'm sleep deprived for a long period of time...then I'll get one or two that pop up. I panic, run to the doc...Get meds...get sleep.  That's my mysterious autoimmune response. I also have Type 1 Diabetes so no great mystery that my immune system is all kinds of confused. Hang in there Wolfy :unsure:

On 6/25/2017 at 9:41 PM, TaleofTwoTummies said:

I can empathize with you. I don't have what you have exactly and like the moderators said, no one can diagnose on here. However, I had hives (eventually ruled Chronic idiopathic urticaria) for 3 years off and on, mostly on.  I was on 4 prescriptions and had regular rounds of steroids and shots of steroids. My lips and eyes would swell so bad I looked like my husband beat me.  They covered my whole body and at its worst I remember thinking I just really could not deal with it much longer. I know what you are feeling. I know that doesn't help make it go away, but the frustration of not knowing what is causing it or how to stop it is awful. There could be any number of things causing it, in my case...sleep...I changed my mattress and haven't had it since. Unless I'm sleep deprived for a long period of time...then I'll get one or two that pop up. I panic, run to the doc...Get meds...get sleep.  That's my mysterious autoimmune response. I also have Type 1 Diabetes so no great mystery that my immune system is all kinds of confused. Hang in there Wolfy :unsure:

Did you find that Whole30 has helped you at all with this? 

On 6/29/2017 at 11:50 PM, Wolffcake said:

Did you find that Whole30 has helped you at all with this? 

Unfortunately I can't say either way.  My last round with this was in 2013 and was due to a change in environment. My 5 years straight of it ended in 2007. Now it happens very infrequently and almost always is a result of poor sleep. With this type of reaction, every person's trigger is different. I am truly hoping it goes away for you.  I understand how miserably uncomfortable it is. 

Archived