Start Date July 1

ryanreed

• Moderators
9 hours ago, snowflower said:

I LOVE that I started this Whole30 on the 1st of the month because I always know what day I'm on. :D

Happy Day 9.  I hope everyone is doing well.  This thread seems very "quiet" compared to past Whole30s I've done.  I've always started on a Monday in the past and the groups have been quite big and active.  

My face is SO clear!  #nonscalevictory I know it's the dairy.  I discovered this during my first Whole30, yet I LOVE ice cream and burrata and goat cheese and do include these in my food freedom.  

I had a great couple of days at work and didn't have any temptations.  Luckily for me food in the breakroom is not appealing unless I witness it being put out for the first time.  Once it's been sitting there, it loses its appeal.  

My breakfasts were 2 eggs cooked in avocado oil, 1 salmon cake, plate of arugula wilted, drizzle of olive oil, coffee with nutpods.  

Lunches were the chicken hash from Whole30, a couple of tablespoons of this trail mix https://www.amazon.com/Living-Intentions-Mango-Sprouted-Trail/dp/B00JTILMXS and a peach.  

Dinner on Friday was larb from the Whole30 cookbook with lettuce (ooops forgot to add a fat to this meal).  Dinner last night was a treat....my SO surprised me with a grilled turkey burger topped with chipotle mayo, grilled asparagus with olive oil, cashew hummus with raw peppers and broccoli.  And when I saw that spread, I thought...I'm going to add a Kombucha!  So he sat with me and drank a beer while I ate dinner (I didn't get home until 8:30pm, so he had eaten before I got home).  

I still have lots of leftovers in the fridge, so today I'll try to focus on using up those before making anything new.  I still have larb...I'm going to try a sauteed mushrooms + larb omelet for breakfast this morning.  And I still have salmon cakes.  Those freeze really well, so that's an option.  I'm back to work on Tuesday for 2 days so will need to do some meal prep on Monday to get me through those 2 days.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Your food sounds amazing!  I had eggs, sausage and panfried/wilted spotted pea shoots (microgreens) and it was delicious!  Not at all colorful but I love wilted greens in the am!  Your hubby did good on that dinner!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone,

I'm new and introducing myself. I started on July first also, glad to find my group. It was sort of a last minute decision after a friend asked me to join her, it sounded like a good idea. Now on day 9 I can't believe I've never done this before, I mean I'm eating real food now, no poison. My book just arrived in the mail yesterday I but was able to do the program without with my friend's help and google. Love reading the book, the intellect and humor of the authors (especially the blurb about chocolate, cracked me up). Anyway, glad to be on the journey with others as I get my sea legs. 

Hi there, I'm starting my first ever Whole30 tomorrow. I've read the Whole30 book twice and weaned myself off of my 4 cup a day tea with milk and sweetener habit. I'm doing this to clear up a persistent skin rash that my doctor said is autoimmune related, to hopefully fix my lifelong digestive issues and to maybe lose a few pounds. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and to coming here for support as a newbie. 

12 hours ago, SunnyMich said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm new and introducing myself. I started on July first also, glad to find my group. It was sort of a last minute decision after a friend asked me to join her, it sounded like a good idea. Now on day 9 I can't believe I've never done this before, I mean I'm eating real food now, no poison. My book just arrived in the mail yesterday I but was able to do the program without with my friend's help and google. Love reading the book, the intellect and humor of the authors (especially the blurb about chocolate, cracked me up). Anyway, glad to be on the journey with others as I get my sea legs. 

@SunnyMich welcome to the forum.  It's a little on the slow side here with a Saturday start date, but I'm hopeful. :)  I loved the book, too and read it through twice and have re-read sections numerous times.  I strongly recommend Food Freedom when you're ready for another book.  

10 hours ago, Tray D said:

Hi there, I'm starting my first ever Whole30 tomorrow. I've read the Whole30 book twice and weaned myself off of my 4 cup a day tea with milk and sweetener habit. I'm doing this to clear up a persistent skin rash that my doctor said is autoimmune related, to hopefully fix my lifelong digestive issues and to maybe lose a few pounds. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and to coming here for support as a newbie. 

Hi Tray.  This is a thread for July 1st starters.  If you're starting "tomorrow" (which is now today) I think you're probably looking for a July 10 start date.  I've seen a few of them already.  Here is a link to one:  

and another:

Best of luck to you.

Hey all! I think today marks my day 7 (@snowflower I know there's a July 3rd start but they were quite inactive so I joined another group), but I'm doing a whole90 so I'm not really focusing on the count and more just settling into a routine.

Today so far I've had:

Breakfast: 3 slices of bacon, black coffee. I meant to have a few scrambled eggs with this but ran out time in the morning.

Snack: Blueberry larabar (because of the too-small breakfast)  homemade kiwi lime kombucha

Lunch: salad with 2 hard boiled eggs, fermented veggies, and a olive oil/balsalmic dressing

Dinner: tbd but most likely left over roasted broccoli and a brat with mustard

I don't have a ton of time to meal prep these days because I've been working a lot of OT and traveling on the weekends. I'm enjoying reading all about what you guys are eating because it gives me good ideas, at least for when I do have time to cook more than super simple meals.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, doreyo said:

Hey all! I think today marks my day 7 (@snowflower I know there's a July 3rd start but they were quite inactive so I joined another group), but I'm doing a whole90 so I'm not really focusing on the count and more just settling into a routine.

Today so far I've had:

Breakfast: 3 slices of bacon, black coffee. I meant to have a few scrambled eggs with this but ran out time in the morning.

Snack: Blueberry larabar (because of the too-small breakfast)  homemade kiwi lime kombucha

Lunch: salad with 2 hard boiled eggs, fermented veggies, and a olive oil/balsalmic dressing

Dinner: tbd but most likely left over roasted broccoli and a brat with mustard

I don't have a ton of time to meal prep these days because I've been working a lot of OT and traveling on the weekends. I'm enjoying reading all about what you guys are eating because it gives me good ideas, at least for when I do have time to cook more than super simple meals.

Hey there - In the interest of getting a good routine going, you might want to have another look at the template... eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... most people that's 3-4 or if you don't want that many eggs, add another protein.  As you've said, three strips of bacon (fat) are not breakfast... you may have meant to have the eggs but you also missed veggies :)

Make sure that dinner brat is at least the size (thickness x width x length) of your own palm... you may want to double that for tonight because your whole day is pretty nutritionally light.  Also dont' forget the fat with dinner :)

16 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hey there - In the interest of getting a good routine going, you might want to have another look at the template... eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... most people that's 3-4 or if you don't want that many eggs, add another protein.  As you've said, three strips of bacon (fat) are not breakfast... you may have meant to have the eggs but you also missed veggies :)

Make sure that dinner brat is at least the size (thickness x width x length) of your own palm... you may want to double that for tonight because your whole day is pretty nutritionally light.  Also dont' forget the fat with dinner :)

Ahhh thanks for the advice @sugarcubeOD I'll see about adding some veg to my morning meal. I do remember doing that the last time I did a whole30. I would have some left over roasted veggies with eggs on top normally, but I also remember that I still, even when eating enough eggs per the handful rule, would get hungry only a couple hours later most mornings. I also didn't see your advice regarding the amount I'll eat for dinner and I was still hungry a couple of hours later so I snacked on some blueberries and a small handful of raw almonds. I seem to have trouble eating enough at meals overall because I feel too full to eat more, and then I get hungry a few hours later. I do work out a lot so maybe that impacts things?

I've been pretty busy but at least wanted to check in as I'm hearing people say it's quiet here. Day 11 and I'm still going strong, pretty good for a newbie! Proud of myself. Thank you for the welcome snowblower. I also want to apologize for my double post, didn't know what I was doing and couldn't figure out how to delete it. 

I jumped in so haven't done the reading they recommend before starting, so may ask redundant questions, please forgive or ignore. I hear people say make sure to eat fat at dinner. Does salmon cooked in evoo qualify? I'm eating avo and almond butter during the day so hopefully I'm getting enough. 

Also, all the sudden on day 9 I started to feel icky again (same as day 2 and 3). Tired and a very red eye. I thought maybe I'd made a mistake on something. The book says day 10 is hard but I don't see anything about possible 2nd round of detox. Any opinions? 

Glad to be on this journey with you all. It's weird, I see how amazing this thing is and already want to make a big forever change, then am hit with the thoughts of rarely having those old foods that are bad but have been my friends. Sad. Guess I really shouldn't be thinking about that yet. 

19 hours ago, doreyo said:

I seem to have trouble eating enough at meals overall because I feel too full to eat more, and then I get hungry a few hours later. I do work out a lot so maybe that impacts things?

Add FAT!!! If you can't get more protein in be absolutely sure you are getting at LEAST the thumb-size portion of fat, handful of olives, or half an avocado with each meal. Here's the template:

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Also...I would avoid lara bars and fruit and nuts as snacks.  They have never worked for me and seemed to increase my hunger/cravings rather than suppressing.  My favorite snacks are a hardboiled egg with some mayo, a beef jerky stick of some kind with some baby carrots or other raw veggie, or a mini-meal.

Fat is your friend. :) 

22 hours ago, SunnyMich said:

I hear people say make sure to eat fat at dinner. Does salmon cooked in evoo qualify? I'm eating avo and almond butter during the day so hopefully I'm getting enough. 

Also, all the sudden on day 9 I started to feel icky again (same as day 2 and 3). Tired and a very red eye. I thought maybe I'd made a mistake on something. The book says day 10 is hard but I don't see anything about possible 2nd round of detox. Any opinions? 

Fat should be included in all your meals.  Meal template:  https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

No. Cooking fat doesn't count.  Marinade fat doesn't count.  

I think feeling icky on day 9 is perfectly normal.  Everyone's Day 9 is different.  

Thank you for the feedback and the template. I had jumped in to this which I feel is better than if I'd let the moment pass. I'm really glad I'm doing the whole30 and am eating so much better than before, but obviously have some tweaking to do. 

The book recommends making a few sauces, I'm going to make chimichurri, then maybe mayo tomorrow. I'm glad I enjoy cooking. I feel like I'm constantly either shopping, cooking or doing dishes. 

Day 12 and going strong.

Good morning, 

I wish I'd found this forum earlier and could have posted when there were more people on it. Fortunately I'm doing well with my whole30 so I'm going to keep on chugging. 

Snowflower, I see spellcheck changed your name so it's spelled incorrectly in one of my posts. I'm still figuring out this forum and don't see how to edit, frustrating. 

Anyway, I think I'll still keep checking in here for now. How is everyone doing this 13th day?

I've been having a banana coconut milk and nut porridge in the morning which is ridiculously good - I'll have that for breakfast soon. Now that I've seen the meal recommendations I think I have to change things up a bit. A handful of coconut and much larger portions of fat at each meal, wow. I'm curious about why so much coconut. I added coconut milk to my coffee and compliant almond milk, and wow, really good. I read this morning how fat replaces what sugar was doing before in the body energy engine, so interesting. I'm learning a lot and loving it. 

Still catching up on previous posts here. Hoping more people are out there. 

I'm still having mild detox symptoms, which I think include more than normal sweating (I've experienced that on other detoxes, more than just the fact it's hot in southern California). 

On 7/12/2017 at 3:21 AM, snowflower said:

Add FAT!!! If you can't get more protein in be absolutely sure you are getting at LEAST the thumb-size portion of fat, handful of olives, or half an avocado with each meal. Here's the template:

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Also...I would avoid lara bars and fruit and nuts as snacks.  They have never worked for me and seemed to increase my hunger/cravings rather than suppressing.  My favorite snacks are a hardboiled egg with some mayo, a beef jerky stick of some kind with some baby carrots or other raw veggie, or a mini-meal.

Fat is your friend. :) 

Don't worry I definitely have fat ;) I use ghee to cook my veggies and meats in, or rendered fat from either duck or pig (depending on what the butcher has at that time). I usually have a big salad with hard boiled eggs for lunch and put olive oil on it for a dressing. You guys also know about my morning bacon habit. It's been getting better since I've upped my eggs a little at breakfast to 3 or 4.

Sorry for not posting too much the last few days. I typically do during my down time at work, but I was traveling over my weekend (Thur-Sat) so I'm just now back to work and back to posting. Traveling went well, I told my sister ahead of time what I was eating and aside from her wanting to make whole30 "compliant" coconut milk ice cream I stayed on track even when eating out. 

Archived