Meal Timing Pre/Post Workout

racheleats

Hi all,

I need some suggestions for meal timing pre and post workout - if this situation has already been discussed elsewhere, please feel free to merge with another thread :-)

I eat breakfast at 7:45 and lunch at 12:15, give or take a half hour every day. On gym days, my class is from 7-8 pm (high intensity circuit training, kettlebells etc.). My question is, should I eat my full dinner around 5 (as my pre-workout) and then have a post workout mini-meal when I get back?

I've been doing the opposite, having a pre-workout mini meal before and then having my full dinner right after. Just wondering if one or the other was more effective, or if it doesn't really matter. I feel good and energized for the gym, I just don't know if eating a big meal around 8:30 is ideal when I go to bed at 10:30.

TIA!

Either way would be fine. The cautionary stuff re: eating at night comes from people eating all day long already, which you're not, and from people having trouble falling asleep while digesting, which you're not (and is likely partially due to the good foods of Whole30). 

7 hours ago, kirkor said:

Either way would be fine. The cautionary stuff re: eating at night comes from people eating all day long already, which you're not, and from people having trouble falling asleep while digesting, which you're not (and is likely partially due to the good foods of Whole30). 

Thanks for the insight! I think I'm going to try having my full dinner before a little earlier and have a post workout meal after and see if anything changes, but if not I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.  Nothing like a good self-experiment :) 

I think if you have your full meal before your workout-- and your workout doesnt suffer in that you're super full then you would be fine.. same with if you just had your pre workout snack before-- if your workout isnt suffering because you're under-fueled or you find yourself hungry during the workout.. then you're fine...

Sometimes I switch it up just depending on how I feel that day, or what I have time for/how hungry i am!

39 minutes ago, alexamassie said:

I think if you have your full meal before your workout-- and your workout doesnt suffer in that you're super full then you would be fine.. same with if you just had your pre workout snack before-- if your workout isnt suffering because you're under-fueled or you find yourself hungry during the workout.. then you're fine...

Sometimes I switch it up just depending on how I feel that day, or what I have time for/how hungry i am!

Thanks for your insight! I think I'm going to try switching it up just to see what happens, but will probably stick with what I'm doing. Sometimes I overthink things too much, so self experimentation is best and paying attention to what works best FOR ME is most important!

Archived