Threw this beef stew together last night

...and I wanted to share. It wasn't so much a recipe, as something I made on the fly that turned out yummy.

Tuesdays are usually crazy. My 14 yo daughter has a dance class 25 minutes away from 7:15 to 8:00. We're not early evening dinner eaters, so eating ahead of time doesn't work for us. Our routine in the past has been for my husband and me to drop our daughter off at dance, go food shopping at a nearby grocery store, pickup takeout from a nearby restaurant, and then pick her up, going home to unload groceries and eat the takeout dinner. Even when not on a whole 30, I often eat leftovers and let the rest of my family eat the takeout, as it is hard to find something on their menu that works with my paleo, gluten-free eating. I didn't have leftovers around yesterday, so late afternoon I took out some grassfed stew beef chunks (around 1 lb), and threw them in the crockpot with:

some peeled, cubed butternut squash

a handful or two of frozen pearl onions

about 1 cup fresh mushrooms

a small handful of Trader Joe's dried cherries

one bay leaf

a couple of splashes of balsamic vinegar

about one cup water

I also sprinkled it liberally with some Penzey's "French Four Spice" (which is white pepper, nutmeg, ginger, cloves). Then I set it on high for four hours.

Came home to a wonderful smell. Salted to taste and ate a yummy bowl of it for dinner. Just had some again for breakfast. Just thought I'd share.

Thanks, SpinSpin. It's kind of funny eating a nice warm stew as the Atlanta weather is ramping up to it's normal hot late spring temperatures...but I don't really care. It was yummy and comforting and compliant, and I'll be making it again soon. :)

Archived