Muscle soreness and Whole30

I completed my first W30 over lent, and during the process I realized I was definitely intolerant to coconut (which was a huge disappointment).  I suspect I may have other food intolerances (even to foods in the approved W30 realm, and that also discourages me).  I am in my mid-thirties and have had unexplained muscle soreness all over my body since my early 20s.  I have been tested for various auto-immune diseases, but the tests haven't revealed a diagnosis.  My muscle soreness did improve somewhat while on the W30, but was still very much present.  I am significantly overweight, and it is difficult to exercise with my body feeling sluggish, fatigued and constantly sore. 

I wanted more dramatic results from my W30, particularly for my muscle achiness (perhaps that was unrealistic in a 30 day period after a lifetime of not knowing how to take care of my body properly).  As a result of being discouraged that my body was still "broken" and that I don't know how to fix it, I have slid off the W30 way of eating altogether (although I am still currently gluten free).  As a result my muscle soreness is more pronounced again. 

If anyone has any advice/personal experience of similar body issues, I could use some help. 

I'm only speaking from personal experience: Chronic systemic inflammation........ ! There is nothing to test.... no diagnosis... no pills or potions or exercise alone that will help.

I notice a huge difference in how my body feels when I'm off w30... I actually ate w30 strict for almost a year and was pretty much pain free... Went on vacation and ate some old favorites.... Didn't notice a difference at first but 3-4 days in all my joints ached, my muscles were sore, I was tired and felt sluggish.... Jumped right back on and a few days later felt great again...

Since you stated that you did get improvement from your w30... May I suggest a w90 to really start to heal your body along with a progressively more challenging exercise regime .... Nothing like a hard workout to get all the " feel good" neurotransmitters flowing.... What you think "cymbalta " is. A serotonin reuptake inhibitor.... Why take a pill when 30 min hard exercise will get even more natural serotonin flowing...

Can't hurt and my bet is after 90 days... You'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner... I know I did. :)

I would at least give the AI protocol a shot.  If you think you may have other food sensitivities, it may be best to eliminate more items just to see what difference it makes.  I thought I had age-related arthritis until my first W30. Then my aches and pains disappeared.  They come back if I reintro dairy and grains.  And know that 30 days is only the beginning.  I did 3 of them, and didn't have a real breakthrough until I did a W100.

Thanks to you both for your responses, Fenderbender and 1Maryann.  It was very helpful to hear that when you committed to a longer time period, you both really had some breakthroughs with your symptoms.  It sounds like a longer stint--90 or 100 days might be what it takes for me to see real improvement.  And it makes sense that one month of radical changes won't completely take care of a long build-up of inflammation/health issues.  I have been wallowing in anger and self pity a bit, so this encouragement is what I need to get back up and try again.  This kind of radical change can be pretty isolating at times, even though the people in my life are trying to be supportive of me in my attempts at healing.  I really needed an injection of hope to get started.  I'm already thinking about planning some meals/menus today and hope to start again sometime in the next few days.  Thanks again.

Archived