No more hot flashes! *happy dance*

PamH

About two months before trying the Whole30, I started getting hot flashes.  I just turned 48 in April.  I went from no hot flashes in March 2013 to having up to 20 hot flashes per day/night in May 2013!

So, hot flashes quickly decreased when I started Whole30 at the end of April.  In the past week, the only time I've had a flash was when I broke Whole30 7 days ago.  I am so amazed!  I am still doing the Whole30 since I broke it 2 times in the past 40 days and have been unable to string 30 consecutive together...

I think it is sugar.  Not the dairy.  Not the grains.  Not the gluten (I've been gluten free off and on for several years).

Now, the real question:  will I be able to use honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar and such with cooking after I end my Whole30 experience?  That was my goal.  I wanted to get rid of the processed, white/brown sugar, the baked goods, and the processed foods but never intended to go completely sugar free!  The days I was noncompliant, I ate the good old fashioned sugary cookie dough, ice cream and chocolate cake.   :angry:

Anybody else go through this?

I was also hoping to get my period during W30.  My period became very regular when I was Paleo for 8 months, but then disappeared in November when I fell back to eating less than optimally.  It could just be my time for menopause (augh), but I am still holding out hope that this clean eating will keep me out of menopause.  Not that I want to have children; I'm just not ready.  I did just see a post where someone said they only ovulated when they ate grains, so I have to look at that more closely.  I have had grains the days I broke W30, but other than that I've been clean.

• 1 month later...

I am 62 and STILL having a lot of hot flashes.  They started when I was around 50.  Was on Bio-identical hormones, which were WONDERFUL and straightened me out, but had to get off of them about 3 years ago.  I have tried all kinds of things, black cohosh and all those natural supps.  Just waiting for them to stop!

I'm the same as NH Girl. I've had them on and off for 8 years. I was also on HRT, but since I've had some breast issues, I had to stop taking them. I do think that the frequency and intensity of the hot flashes have diminished since being on W30.

However, I don't want my period back! I stopped a few times during peri-menopause and would get sad, but then when it came back, I was like, HELL NO!!!!

• 10 months later...

Archived