Kale is making my stomach churn

I steam-sauteed some kale this morning for breakfast.  Almost immediately after eating it, my stomach started to feel upset and nauseous.  I've had kale many times for breakfast before and have never had an issue with it.  It did taste a bit bitter today, so maybe it wasn't cooked enough?  I've eaten raw kale salads before and have never had an issue though. 

Any thoughts?  This is making me not want to eat kale again.

Do you have thyroid issues at all?  Some people have trouble with such veggies as broccoli, cabbage, or kale which may be due to an intolerance.  I have trouble with raw broccoli and any cabbage (haven't tried kale), and was told years ago, by a naturopath, that I have an intolerance, probably due to hypothyroid.

Just a thought.  Good health!

• Moderators

Your could try cooking kale to "well-done" in a day or two and see if it agrees with you any better.

What else did you eat for breakfast? Was it a combination you have had before? Is there a chance it was something else?

Your could try cooking kale to "well-done" in a day or two and see if it agrees with you any better.

What else did you eat for breakfast? Was it a combination you have had before? Is there a chance it was something else?

Hi Tom,

No new combination.  I had it with eggs and it's something I've had a million times. I'm thinking maybe it needed to be a little more well-done or could be that it was getting aged. 

• Moderators

I typically wilt kale in my wok with chopped onions, spices, and apple cider vinegar for 10 minutes. I've chewed a few leaves in the garden, but I like mine well done.

Maybe next time you try kale, try it later in the day when you have already had at least one meal.

Archived