new to Whole30, but not new to giving up sugar (again)...

rosedeniz

Hey there...

Joining in four days after starting Whole30 for the first time, but started eating more healthy a year ago when I dropped gluten, dairy, and coffee. I think my body is now ready to tackle sugar and grains, which are proving to be much harder to let go of. This is not my first time detoxing from sugar (countless times!) and grains, but the last time I tried, I made the mistake of also cutting out all caffeine for a two week period at the same time, and I couldn't maintain my energy or enthusiasm. I also think one reason I failed to cut sugars and grains earlier is because I was not eating enough protein and fat. 

I read ISWF cover to cover (it was initially a gift for someone else struggling with sugar and carb consumption), but realized I needed to read it, too. My resistance to doing Whole30 came from adding in more animal protein. For over a year I have mostly eaten fish and eggs and I dropped weight and improved my health and sleeping habits immensely. I "felt better" eating less meat and more veggies, but still battled sugar and night-waking/eating, and hypoglycemia, too (my fish/egg consumption was low overall). So I'm giving Whole30 a try with the suggested animal proteins and fat. 

So far I feel good. Sugar cravings struck badly yesterday, but I am pleased that for the first time in a long time I am not constantly hungry and snacking between meals. I eased into the program last week by lessening grains and sugar so by the 24th I was ready to go. 

So, cheers to everyone here on their journey... glad to be here.

Hi! I am just starting the Whole30 for the first time and I can totally relate to your sugar cravings!! I had begun to eat really "well," taking out almost all processed foods about two weeks ago, but I had the hardest time kicking the chocolate! I am a serious sugar addict. Since beginning the whole30 yesterday I've had a permanent headache. It was so bad this morning that I couldn't get out of bed and had to go into work late. I think I am going through sugar withdraws. It is totally worth it though. I am ready to kick this sugar habit for good because it's really standing in the way of my fitness goals. Stay strong, rosedenzi! We can do it :)

On a completely unrelated note: I LOVE your country! I spent some time in Turkey about 4 years ago and just fell in love with the people and the land.

@EvaPete Hope your headaches have improved and each day the cravings get better. So far so good here. Me, too, my sugar habit has gotten in the way of many a goal of mine, from fitness to curbing cravings and just being a happier person. Good luck with your Whole30! And how cool you loved visiting Turkey. Been here 8 years and love it, too.

As a lifelong chocoholic now about to start the 4th week of my 2nd Whole30, i can assure you it does get better! Watch the ol' sugar dragon though - mine helpfully planned all my reintroductions after my 1st Whole30 back in January, so dairy was milk chocolate, grains was biscuits, etc! But this 2nd time I'm ready for it!! Won't get fooled again, lol. Stay strong!

@Roz Thanks for the reassurance! I find that if I eat enough fat and protein, I don't have cravings (right now). Kind of nervous about post-whole30, but glad to hear that it is possible to slay the beast. :) 

Archived