So a bit of a random one for a Monday morning for all you forum dwellers, but if there's anyone else out there with an inherited bleeding disorder (von Willebrands, haemophilia or another factor deficiency) I'd love to hear from you! Have you found a Whole30 to be helpful? Is there anything in particular you eat/avoid? I've started my first Whole30 today and I'd love to hear other people's experiences (traditional medical science isn't exactly flush with tips on eating to assits with bleed management - by which I mean you're mostly told to take your meds/factor and that's the only thing that can help).

My theories at this stage are that anything that reduces systemic inflammation is going to be good, as it will free up the body's blood supply and immune system to treat any injuries or bleeds that might occur where otherwise it might be stuck dealing with gluten invaders or upsets from over processed food-like substances, but I've not yet found anything to support this (scientific papers). Perhaps someone knows of a more general study on this they could point me to in realtion to systemic inflammation and injury recovery?

I also know that getting a slight OD (over normal recommended limits) of leafy greens (esp. kale etc not spinach) assists with vit K and iron absorption given that I have bouts of iron deficiency and occasionally anaemia,a nd vit K assists with coagulation. But any other ideas would be great!

And yes, I'm asking here because my doctors looked at me like I was a bit crazy when mentioning food in relation to my bleeding disorder.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen research that says anemia can be helped by taking magnesium. Anemia is usually treated by throwing iron at you, but a lack of sufficient magnesium can create a situation where the red blood cells' membranes burst open. Also, a study of Chinese adults showed that magnesium could lower the risk of anemia by 52%.

Sources (please read these; it's late and I'm rusty on my scientific paper reading skillz):

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0271531787800593 - Blood cell membrane

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18586459 - Chinese adults 

I've seen research that says anemia can be helped by taking magnesium. Anemia is usually treated by throwing iron at you, but a lack of sufficient magnesium can create a situation where the red blood cells' membranes burst open. Also, a study of Chinese adults showed that magnesium could lower the risk of anemia by 52%.

Sources (please read these; it's late and I'm rusty on my scientific paper reading skillz):

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0271531787800593 - Blood cell membrane

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18586459 - Chinese adults

Thanks Mrs Stick. I'll have a look when I'm not meant to be getting ready for work! My anaemia risk is entirely down to whether I've had a high level of blood loss, so my current medical strategy is about controlling the bleed risk. But it's good information to know for if/when I end up aenemia again.

Hi Jenna,

My son has severe hemophilia.  Bleeding disorders are due to a genetic mutation, so while eating right helps the whole body, I don't think it will reduce bleeding at all.  For my son, factor 8 replacement is a routine to keep things under control.  

I have type 1 VWD and I've found for some of my symptoms improve or worsen depending on the way I eat and move does. My improved muscle and joint strength as well as reduced systemic inflammation has assisted with the management of injuries and spontaneous bruising ( unless you're really severe with VWD you tend to get spontaneous bruising not bleeds), and finding ways that work for me to get leafy greens in have also helped with injuries and bruising, as well as recovery from iron deficient spells (I'm gathering given my gender I'm more prone to these than your son). I was just interested if anyone else had had this experience!

Archived