July 15th Start Date: support and accountability a must

CarrieTS

Hey, I'm starting a Whole30 this coming Monday. I would love to receive and provide support to anyone who is starting also. I read It Starts With Food last fall after my husband referred it to me. I unsuccessfully attempted a couple of Whole30s last fall, but we have made several changes to our family's diet the past 8 months and follow a "paleo template." I feel as though I need to ground myself and focus on my personal health. I have signed up for the Whole30 Daily this time around with the hope it provides additional accountability. Also, I sat down this morning to create my Whole9 goals plus my outcome goals for the Whole30. As a side effect of me focusing on my whole health, I do hope to see some improvements in weight and body composition but I am not setting any specific goals for weight loss. My current weight is 136lbs and I'm 30% fat (DXA measurement.). This weekend I will be taking my pre-photos and meal planning for the next week. The rest of my family, two girls and my husband, is not doing the Whole30, but they are supportive and about 85% of our kitchen is Whole30 compliant.

Here is to a successful 30 days.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! I am also starting my first Whole30 on monday and joining me will be my husband, my husband's aunt, and my sister-in-law. I have two chapters left to read in the "it starts with food" book that I will have done by tonight....I can't put the book down!! I am beyond excited and nervous....mainly nervous about giving up my cappuccino addiction. I have done some prep (clarified my butter, boiled some eggs, made some salad dressings, and made paleo mayonnaise). But I am on here looking to seek out some more support as my friends think I'm nuts for doing this. But they are all slightly set in their ways :-)

Good Luck and keep us posted! I'm sure we will all need the encouragement. 

Hello! I am also starting my first Whole30 on monday and joining me will be my husband, my husband's aunt, and my sister-in-law. I have two chapters left to read in the "it starts with food" book that I will have done by tonight....I can't put the book down!! I am beyond excited and nervous....mainly nervous about giving up my cappuccino addiction. I have done some prep (clarified my butter, boiled some eggs, made some salad dressings, and made paleo mayonnaise). But I am on here looking to seek out some more support as my friends think I'm nuts for doing this. But they are all slightly set in their ways :-)

Good Luck and keep us posted! I'm sure we will all need the encouragement.

That is great that you have family to do it with you. Don't let your friends discourage you or convince you to try this or that, when it will sabotage your goals. I had that happen when I tried theW30 the first time around. Then I convinced myself, "why not eat things I enjoy and why am i make eating so hard." My suggestion is to always have a plan and surround yourself with supportive people.

Hello. I am also starting on Monday. I already started with a warm up this week and have cut out grains, sugar, fruit and bad oils etc but will be starting properly on Monday with no dairy and bringing fruit back in.

So far I am feeling great and have not been hungry at all. I just finished the book and am excited to see what changes these 30 days will bring. Nice to meet you everyone :)

This is great that there are several starting this adventure the same time I am. I just planned out my dinner meals for this coming week. I usually make extra for leftovers. I'm also making a chipotle chicken salad that I saw on PaloOMG to have something different for lunch. My one challenge this coming week is going out to eat on Friday. But, the restaurant we are going to makes everything from scratch, local, and many gluten free options. It will be much easier to find out what is in certain meal items so I can pick and choose.

Hi! I'm also starting my first Whole30 on Monday. I've been planning for it as I only need to feed and cook for myself so I want to make meals that will last a couple of days. I've been eating about 75% paleo for several months, but I'm going to miss my red wine. I get almost all of my vegetables from local, organic farmers and I purchase my meat from local farmers who raise healthy, happy, clean animals. I'm also excited and nervous. I'll be happy to provide encouragement to anyone who needs it and I may need you all do to the same.

Well, count me in; although I may be a day behind y'all. I can't shop til payday (the 15th), so I may not have have enough W30 food for breakfast. We'll see! I'm the mom of five, but I'm not making my family comply , so this should be interesting.

Hello, I'm also starting on the 15th . This will actually be my second attempt. I only made it to day 20 the first time around . I didn't off road too badly but it had been enough to disrupt my sleep patterns and definitely affected my fitness abilities.

Good luck to all us and lets stay motivated !

Hi, I'm starting my second whole 30 on Monday also - I completed my first whole 30 on July 10th with pretty awesome results.

I had a planned break to coincide with my babies first birthday, a couple of glasses of bubbly and a slice of birthday cake (the birthday cake wasn't planned but consumed after the champagne had weakened my resolve :/ ) the result was I felt totally rubbish yesterday! Back on track today and officially starting another whole 30 tomorrow!

This time I plan on upping the exercise, and eating less nuts - they were a bit of a weakness the first time around!

Good luck everyone :)

Guest Annie B

I see I have come to the right place. I derailed on my Day 11, which was friday. My sugar dragon took me down (and I didn't really fight back). I wasn't sure I should start over immediately,  but a weekend of what I would have formerly considered 'not too bad' eating... has left me feeling the effects. Flat stomach to pokey belly within 42hrs. I think one of my downfalls being that I didn't sync up with anyone starting... and I could use the group effort and connection. I have been receiving the daily emails, and they are great... but its not personal enough to keep me focused when my little sugar dragon whispering in my ear.  So count me in with the July 15th start!!! 

Guest Annie B

I see I have come to the right place. I derailed on my Day 11, which was friday. My sugar dragon took me down (and I didn't really fight back). I wasn't sure I should start over immediately,  but a weekend of what I would have formerly considered 'not too bad' eating... has left me feeling the effects. Flat stomach to pokey belly within 42hrs. I think one of my downfalls being that I didn't sync up with anyone starting... and I could use the group effort and connection. I have been receiving the daily emails, and they are great... but its not personal enough to keep me focused when my little sugar dragon whispering in my ear.  So count me in with the July 15th start!!! 

"Anything worth doing, is worth failing at..." Joel Salatin

The bad and ugly...

I have determined that it is a must to admit to what I have done to myself over the past 6 months before I start my W30 tomorrow.   After my unsuccessful attempts at the Whole30 last October I still had success in adopting a paleo diet.  I lost weight, went from 132 (I was at 141 the year before) to 123lbs.  I doubled my wardrobe because I was fitting clothes that I had not fit into for 5 years.  I felt amazing, had tons of confidence, people noticed that I held my head higher, I was training regularly (running and CrossFit).  I was in control of my entire life.  At the time, I was actually living seperately from my family as they lived in NE MO and I was in KS working on finishing my PhD coursework.  Thus, I was only had to worry about myself, again, I was totally in control. 

In January, I moved to NE MO to live primarily with my family and commute back to KS only when necessary. 

The following are all of my excuses/challenges that I have been trying to overcome and deal with.  We now live in a small town that has no CrossFit, no friends or support system, and I just had a very difficult time adjusting and utilizing the new environement for training.  I now deal with the stress of trying to be a good mom/wife, trying to find a job, trying to finish writing my disseration, and trying to do everything else to perfection. I am also dealing with an allergic reaction that Drs cannot find any reason to other than it may be caused by stress.  Thus, their suggestion for me is to decrease my stress.  I usually laugh in their face.  I have been on a lot predisone (shots and pills) over the past 8 months.  My solution to all of this is that I shut down for days and deal with my stress and emotions with food.  The sensation of feeling full has helped me cope.  So, since December I have put on 13 pounds.  

I am now pulling myself up by the bootstraps and getting myself under control.  I found a great running partner about a month ago and  I am trying a new gym tomorrow.  I have shown my husband my goals that I want to accomplish over the next month, and he is very supportive.  I'll post the goals later today.  He has also been very frustrated over the past 6 months as he has seen myself deteriorate, and felt helpless as to how to help me. 

So that is the gist of the ugly...now onto prettier things.

Guest Annie B

Hey CarrieTS, I can relate to one aspect of your story. I recently moved to a rural area in South Carolina with my husband. We are starting a new chapter here, and I do not have the same tools at my disposal that I did before. I worked as a personal trainer in the city where we lived, and had support from all corners on the health and fitness front. Now I am on my own! I wouldn't normally seek online community like this, but it seems to be the best option given my circumstances. 

I can't compare my stress load to yours, in fact, I have less stress than ever since leaving the city! That being said, I have used a coach/counselor for years, on the mental/emotional health front. I personally find that to be a crucial component...

Anyway, I am restarting tomorrow, and wish you the best in you efforts to care for yourself! 

It is definitely a challenge to start over in a new location. The great thing is that we love it here and as I get more involved I am finding those individuals who are interested in health and fitness.  Prior to moving, I had worked out with the same group of 20+ people for 2 years.  We motivated one another to strive for better health and with the move I lost motivation, or I should say I lost track of  my motivation.  My family is huge motivator...I think I just lost my way.  I know what is wrong with my behavior since I have counseled people on eating behavior change for the past 7 years, but again I haven't been applying it to myself.  Just giving myself a swift kick in the butt.

I'm starting on July 15th too.  My first Whole 30.  I'm nervous but excited.  I have several friends who have had amazing results doing this, so I'm looking forward to seeing my health improve.  I have been reading It Starts With Food. This will be a huge change in my eating habits, so I am definitely looking for support in this journey. 

Below are my general goals for the W30.  In my log I will make weekly SMART goals.

Sleep - 7 hours per night, asleep between 10-10:30pm and up 5-5:30am.

Fun outside (does not involve training) - Play outside with my girls a minimum of 2 times per week, walk or run with Susie (dog) 5 times per week.

Husband relationship - check in with him once a day on how things are going for both of us.  Spend one hour a week with him seperate from the girls doing something fun.

Media (email, FB, Pinterest, etc.) - none after 9pm, none before 7am.  Limit email/FB checks to 3 times during the work day.

Organization - Create a daily list of what I plan to accomplish for writing and work.  Spend a minimum of 6 hours per day working on dissertation.  Avoid procrastination by using the list.

Journaling - Food & Exercise on W30 Log.  Personal growth and bible study in personal journal.

Socialization - involvement in church, study group, weekly RD group, working out at the gym and with a friend.  Check into additional running groups.

Temperance- complete a lot journaling and reflecting to get and keep myself back on track.  Avoid procrastination and overeating. 

Eating - Follow W30 program for 30 days. 

Exercise - work with husband weekly to develop my training program for the 25k trail run September 29th. 

Recovery - ice and stretch food daily.  Saturday is day off from traning.  Complete yoga 1 time per week.

Weight and body composition - Weight as of 7/14/2013 is 139.8  (I put 3 pounds on in the past week.)  Body composition should be still hanging around 30%.  I have no specific goal in 30 days for this category.  I hope for change to be a side effect of me taking better care of my heath.

Overall- When I am done with the W30, I hope to have better control of my eating habits.  I want to no longer search for a constant level of fullness and use food as coping mechanism.  I also hope to find a balance in life without needing to strive for perfection. 

So.  You've moved.  Your family has moved.  You have to rebuild your support system from the ground up.  You're working on your PhD (heck, I just sprouted hives from typing that one out and I'm not the one doing it!!!).  You are suffering unexplained hives that are stumping your doctors.  You're taking steroids just to get by in the meantime.

And as a result all that's happened is that you've gained some weight and dived into food for comfort?  (I know, it's more than that - but really, think about what could have happened to you and your family just from the stress of moving OR you doing your PhD - put in both elements and your stress level is pretty well off the charts.  The fact that you're even coherent is a victory. ;) )

I hereby order you to cease and desist kicking yourself and instead commence to high-fiving yourself with vigor.  You have done GREAT.  Take on the Whole30 as a stepping-stone to building your new life, for sure, but oh my gosh, don't even THINK about giving yourself anything other than a huge break emotionally and psychologically.  Really.  Truly.  Madly.  Deeply.  You've done AMAZING and you get to breathe your way through your Whole30.  (It may be the only time you get to breathe until they put that doctoral robe stuff on you, so take advantage.)

:wub:

My partner and I are also starting our whole30 tomorrow after months of discussions and excuses. We have been inching towards the paleo lifestyle for about a year but now it's time to get serious. We are both overweight inactive and have a myriad of health issues between us. I know this will make a massive difference to our lives and I am excited that there are lots of other people staying the journey on the same day. Good luck everyone. We are in England so if any of you are also this side of the pond let us know so that we can trade suggestions and recommendations on places to find some of these ingredients. Looking forward to hearing how everyone is getting on over the next few days

Starting my 2nd whole30 tomorrow with you all. I just completed my first one July 10th, after a long weekend of less discipline and immediately feeling awful, I feel strongly I need another 30. I'm happier, lighter, more energetic on the plan and for now I need the strict discipline. :)

I spoke about lack of motivation in an earlier post.  You know what is and should be the biggest motivating factor in making sure I take care of my health?  Why I need to ensure that my actions speak loud, and that I don't focus on weight loss and appearance?  My two girls.  :D

As a family we are active together by biking, walking, hiking and swimming.  My girls are the type that will want to go outside and play when the sun comes up and do not want to come inside until street lights come on.  Our planned meals are paleo and we talk about the importance of consuming healthy foods so they can continue to grow and have lots of energy to play.  We are not strict with their eating as we are trying to teach them balance.

One of my girls, 8 years, has begun making nonchalant comments about her weight and appearance.  She is 53inches and 56lbs.  There is no need for her to be concerned on so many levels. My husband and I have been trying to determine what has contributed to this. Her friends?  Us?   We do talk a lot about health and obesity in our home because my husband and I are both professionals in the area.  Even though I try to only speak to my husband about my eating and weight concerns in the privacy of our bedroom, I know that my daughter is picking up on what has been going on.  Children are little sponges and nothing is a secret!! 

Time for a swift kick in my arse and make sure I am conveying the correct message to my girls.   Here is to day 1.

Archived