Avoiding frui and looking for advice on my next move

I have a serious sugar addiction. After starting on the 1st of the month and failing on day 4, I elected to avoid fruit entirely the first week because it just triggers my sugar cravings as well as eating without breaks. Well I am now on day 7 of my so far successful 2nd attempt and while avoiding fruit all week made it easier for me, I'm now craving sugar and fruit real bad today.

I don't know if its psychological, as in a delayed gratification thing because I knew I planned on reintroducing fruit as allowed in the guidelines after the first week.

Or if possibly it is due needing more carbs and my exercise routine or craving sugar as a fuel source from my old ways. I generally do 5-6 WODS a week, if I do only 5, I sometimes include running a 5k that week. I get 3 complete DOR (day of rest) days a week because I do two different WODS in one day (at 9am and 6pm) twice a week, and each of those double days are followed by a DOR. I don't have any injuries, have been making huge gains, and like I said am taking 3 days off a week so I don't think I am overtraining and have been maintaining this schedule for quite some time.

As far as fueling my workouts, I have been following the meal templates. I always eat bulletproof coffee and an egg pre-WOD and an egg and 1/2 a sweet potato post WOD. I'm not skipping the 3 regular meals, so this means on double WOD days I'm eating a lot, which is hard to do but I continue to do it.

So anyways regarding the fruit and my intense cravings today on day 7, what do you recommend I do? Continue to avoid it for another week, or the entire Whole30? Start incorporating it in with my breakfast on workout days only?

Also what is the best timing if you are eating fruit servings? With breakfast and lunch and nix any dinner time servings? Or again only on workout days?

I have several goals for why I am doing Whole30, but slaying the sugar dragon it one of the top ones.

If your sugar demon is that bad, I would suggest not having any for your whole W30. Today is Day 30 of my W90, and I am feeling like maybe I can try reintroducing fruit as part of 1 meal a day. But if I start abusing it, it will go right back out! During the last 30 days, I have also been doing more research, and I think maybe, just maybe, I have gotten it through my thick head just how destructive sugar is to all our bodily tissues. A 30-day cooling off period might help you get a grip on that demon.

Damn, that is not the answer I wanted to hear, which probably means your right.

I'm currently reading "The Power of Habit" because I am working on the mental aspects of my addiction as well.

It's pretty amazing how many impulses a day I have to eat sugar, that are not even true cravings but deeply ingrained habits.

It definitely sounds like your brain was ready to get some sugar! I agree - keep it out for now, with a mindset of not-until-I-don't-need-it as opposed to "X day I'll have it again." Your sugar dragon is apparently able to keep track of the days of the week at this point!

Archived