Hashimotos vs hypothyroidism

I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and not Hashimotos. I've been on varying levels of Synthroid since 2008 and it still changes every time I go for a maintenance check! My question is which version of the whole 30 should I go with, AIP or just the regular version??

Regular.  (Regular is even recommended for folks with autoimmune conditions, to start out - do a regular Whole30 first, and then tighten it up to the AIP afterward if autoimmune condition seems to need more restriction.)

I think for hashis (I also have it) cutting out grains is the biggest thing. I am doing the AI, but I've been grain/sugar free for a few months. You can always do an AI next time :)

BTW, most people who are hypo have Hashis. Hashis just means your body is attacking your thyroid which normally makes you hypo, but you can also be hyper at times (what fun!). The reason your meds change so often is that they thyroid is still under attack, the synthroid doesn't stop that it just replaces what your thyroid can't output.

I have hypothyroidism, but it's not hashimoto's in my case. Thyroid function is low from preadolescence on in some female members of my family. I chalk it up to a wonky gene, and am watching my daughter closely. But my levels have been stable for a long time. The last time I experienced fluctuations that required med adjustments was postpartum of my first pregnancy.

Archived