Do I need to start over?

redcat

I went out with my family last night and I thought that I had been specific enough when ordering my meal. I had a bun-less burger and steamed veggies which I ordered without seasoning of any sort. 

When I got the food, I got halfway through the veggies before realizing that there was a faint taste of butter on the carrots. I also forgot to ask for the burger to be grilled with olive oil and sans house seasoning. 

Today, I have a raging migraine which leads me to believe that there was soy somewhere in my meal...

What say you Whole30-ers, do I need to reset my days? I'm currently at day 10.

(Is that the appropriate way to order a burger? grilled in olive oil and no seasoning? ugh. I just don't trust restaurants anymore...)  <_<

I would recommend starting over, since it sounds like there might be at least two things (dairy and soy) that you ate that were non-compliant.

When I order a burger, I do a number of things:
- tell them that I'm gluten-free and dairy-free (you could also add that you're soy-free)

- confirm that the burger itself is gluten-free (no breadcrumbs or gluten seasoning added to the patty)
- order it without the bun

- ask for it to be dry-grilled.  If that's not possible, request that they use a compliant oil (no soybean oil)

Next time you taste veggies that seem like they have butter on it, send them back and, once again, request steamed only.

I am new to this too, but from what I've read I would say yes it would be reason to re-set.  I had a similar issue yesterday with a meal out, I was in the middle of my meal when I realized there was shaved cheese in the dish. Since today is August 1 and the start of a new 30 day challenge, I am resetting myself back to day 1, otherwise today would be day 9 for me.  I had in my mind that the days until the first would be sort of training time for me to iron out the kinks in portion sizes, ingredients, snacks, etc. 

I would recommend starting over, since it sounds like there might be at least two things (dairy and soy) that you ate that were non-compliant.

When I order a burger, I do a number of things:

- tell them that I'm gluten-free and dairy-free (you could also add that you're soy-free)

- confirm that the burger itself is gluten-free (no breadcrumbs or gluten seasoning added to the patty)

- order it without the bun

- ask for it to be dry-grilled.  If that's not possible, request that they use a compliant oil (no soybean oil)

Next time you taste veggies that seem like they have butter on it, send them back and, once again, request steamed only.

I probably should have dropped the allergy word (especially since gluten/soy/dairy are migraine triggers for me), I've never asked for a change in cooking oil before: I will keep that in mind for next time. Thank you for your ideas!

I am new to this too, but from what I've read I would say yes it would be reason to re-set.  I had a similar issue yesterday with a meal out, I was in the middle of my meal when I realized there was shaved cheese in the dish. Since today is August 1 and the start of a new 30 day challenge, I am resetting myself back to day 1, otherwise today would be day 9 for me.  I had in my mind that the days until the first would be sort of training time for me to iron out the kinks in portion sizes, ingredients, snacks, etc. 

You guys pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. If it was enough to trigger a migraine for me, then it was enough to screw up my healing process. I'll count today as day 1 then & tack on another 10 days to my running total. 

Archived