Inflammation

I have been coping with back and jaw pain for 2 months. I have been working with a physiotherapist. I have had X-rays rule out injuries. Blood tests indicate inflammation (which we know) but I was negative for rheumatoid factor. They don't know why I have the inflammation. I can't take medication for it because I am breast feeding my 4 month old. I decided to do the Whole30 to improve my blood sugars mainly but to also decrease (eliminate???) my inflammation. I am just doing the standard protocol although I am extremely limiting the 'forbidden' foods on the AIP. This is day 6 and although the first 4 days I felt quite improved (actually considered coming off my short term disability to go back to work) I now feel worse and in such immense pain. Does the body go through a transition period where the inflammation worsens? Also, do I need to adopt the AIP? Thank you for your help!

You probably need to eat a whole lot more.  You're post partum, breastfeeding a four month old, and dealing with inflammation (I remember that - ankles like sausages - ouch!!).  I'm guessing you need lots more fat.  I think our breastfeeding moms here often sip on a can of coconut milk throughout the day, in addition to all the fat (and protein and veggies) they eat for meals - which may be 4-6 full and/or mini-meals instead of the usual 3.

Suggestion: DON'T limit your eating more than a regular Whole30 right now.  Really.  Do a full regular Whole30 and THEN determine if you need the AIP or some other specialized protocol.

Eat more.  Crack open a can of coconut milk.  And here's hoping that helps.  Post partum inflammation is painful, oh how I remember (and I didn't have Whole30).

I'm not suggesting that these things will result in immediate improvement, but I do think they'll help.  I wish you the very best.

I felt like I had been run over by a truck on days 5-7 during my first whole30 last year. I ached from head to toe and barely got off the couch-thank god it was summer vacation, otherwise i would have had to call in sick to work! And then, woke up on day 8 feeling like a whole new person-literally, like my body had been replaced by whole30 body snatchers.

I wasn't breast feeding either, which is a huge job for your body. You need to feed yourself so well in order to maintain your energy and provide your baby with the nutrients they need! It may seem counter intuitive, but I would try eating more. Especially in the first week or two, as your body adjusts from a carb burning machine to a fat burning machine. I was stunned by how much I consumed the first week-10 days. After that, it leveled off and I was completely satisfied with three whole30 meals a day and no snacks. You may find that you still need those snacks as you breast feed though.

I hope you don't get discouraged and continue on. I think the previous post about doing just a whole30 without worrying about the AIP protocol is a good idea too. You will experience reduced inflammation by eating whole30 alone. If, after 30 days you feel like there is still room for improvement, try another whole30 with the AIP protocol. Good luck! Enjoy this time with your baby! Before you know it, they will be 22 and 24 like mine and you'll wonder where the time went!!

Here's the recently revised (yesterday) Whole30 timeline:http://whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline

Looks like you're right in line where you can expect to be right now.

I agree with AmyS's suggestion to follow the standard Whole30 first. 

Maybe also post 2-3 days of your food log, to see if folks have feedback on what you're eating?

Hopefully Whole30 will straighten you out! But just fyi, you can have RA without having the rheumatoid factor show up in your blood. This happened to me, and my diagnosis was delayed for a couple of years while I tried unsuccessfully to figure out what the heck was happening to me. I do have the r-factor now though.

You don't mention if this is your first time breastfeeding - but just so you know... it burns 500 calories a day MINIMUM - that's a lot of work your body is doing!  And through pregnancy and breastfeeding the body ALWAYS takes care of the baby first - leaving mom somewhat depleted to say the least.  I would think a 4th mini meal is required - as you are working out during the day!  Also make sure you're hydrated.  Easy to forget when you're drinking for two....

I feel like my inflammation pain worsened in day 6-7 too....

Archived