Carb loading for an important event

Irish Rose

Tomorrow I have a very intense karate session. I need to be on fire with as much energy as I can muster. I am on day 21 and today each of my 3 meals have had a large portion of sweet potato roasted in coconut oil. I am eating two bananas along with the third meal and no veggies to prevent stomach issues . Does this sound ok or have I veered too far from the meal template? I have been training all month towards tomorrow, it's so important to me to perform well. I wouldn't normally eat this many carbs!

What has your fueling been like for the rest of the month?  Have you been fueling with a lot of carbs?  Have you felt like your body didn't have the energy it needed during training or between meals?  Will you be able to refuel during the event (squeeze pack of baby food or a banana, maybe)?  Have you had negative GI reactions with non-starchy veggies?  Fats?

Just some ideas to help you sort out your needs.  I hope the even goes well!

The rest of the month I was eating sweet potato post training , not the amounts I ate today ! My energy was good but tomorrow i am being graded and i need an extra edge .Sadly you are not allowed to drink or leave the floor during a karate session. They are 90 minutes long , so I intend to guzzle coconut water before I begin . I get a short ten minute break then, so baby food is a great idea ! I will pick some up on the way. Thank you!

It went great! My nerves were terrible but I got my brown and white belt. I was really dubious about attempting this during the whole 30 because, this is a culmination of 4 months of training and I am delighted to say that I think it worked in my favour. I intend to carry on over the thirty days as this has been a stressful month and I would like to give it more time. I will be training am and pm three days a week at strength and conditioning and kettle bells and one karate session plus a stretch class . This is a breakthrough for me as it means 2 complete rest days and an active rest day, I wouldn't have allowed myself this before and I counted every calorie and macro. The whole30 is freeing me from my control freakish behaviour ! Although saying that, those not on board with paleo probably think my eating is still control freakish but to me it's just a healthy diet : )

I do , yes. If performance is the goal why not carb up? I had sweet potato and eggs on the morning and then coconut water before training and in the break along with a handful of dates. I don't use carbs pre workout normally as I want to burn fat but for an event, I wouldn't risk it without carbs. I suppose its just traditional carb loading but with whole30 compliant sources and today, back to the meal template for me : )

Archived