First time to Whole30 - Day 4 - fruit question

LeslieinOC

Hi All,

This is my first time doing a Whole30. I've been mostly primal, but with occasional backsliding. My husband, up to this point, is definitely not primal/paleo. After recent labs showed not so good news, he is more open to the idea. My plan is to show him by example what a healthy lifestyle looks like. No preaching here, just walkin' the walk. I'm on Day 4. So far no problems, feel great, plenty of energy. I do have a question about the amount of fruit recommended. In order to sneak more vegies into my husband's diet I've been making some fruit/veg smoothies. My carbs have been less than 75 a day so I don't think I'm eating too much fruit, but wanted some feedback/guidance in the area of fruit and perhaps suggestions on some yummy green smoothies that are lower in carbs but within the Whole30 parameters.

Also, I'm not able to post a profile picture. What could I be doing wrong?

First, CONGRATS on starting your first Whole30! It can be hard getting a loved one into the program, but once they start seeing the benefits you're getting by doing Whole30, it's pretty hard to deny that it's a life-changer! There may be others out there who disagree (and I am definitely not an expert), but I would limit your fruit intake to 2-3 servings a day, especially if it's your first Whole30. My first Whole30, I experienced some pretty intense sugar cravings, and I tempered those cravings by consuming way too much fruit. It's easy to overdo fruit. I'd also watch out with dried fruits too, as they are really easy to eat, thus easy to overeat. I'd recommend eating the whole fruit too, not smoothies, as you're getting whatever fibrous material from the fruit by actually eating the whole thing. I didn't do smoothies until the very very end of my Whole30, but I personally loved the Macadamia and Avocado smoothie from the Paleo Recipe book. Hope this helps!

• Moderators

Thanks everyone. Tom, I will definitely look at those recipes. Thank you so much for posting links to them. I have a Vitamix so the whole fruit is consumed. I have been adding some whey protein to my husband's smoothie, but not to mine. He doesn't like many vegetables so hiding them with fruit is making all the difference.

Today is Day 5. Absolutely NO CRAVINGS! I used to want to eat something sweet at night - peanut butter by the spoonful was my downfall. Now I don't crave peanut butter. I've discovered raw creamy unsalted almond butter and just a tiny spoonful satisfies me. Tonight I'm attending a wedding so I am prepared with a game plan and will stay on course. I have no desire for alcohol or typical wedding food, including the cake. Yay!!! My energy is up, the hubz and I did a 5 mile walk this morning as well.

The "It starts with food" book is a great supplement to the info on the site. They really get into the fruit issue. They say 1-2 servings a day is optimal. I probably have more like 3, but that's usually because I crave sugar when I'm tired. Trying to get myself to follow it a bit more stictly for the August Whole30.

Archived