Whole 30 day 31, the SUGAR DRAGON WON'T DIE

I have had a good 30 days, no off plan foods though I had a couple of nights in the last week where I ate too much food, none of it was off plan.

I have decided to continue my Whole30 for 2 reasons.  First, no magic yet, so I must need more time.  Second, and here is the big one, that blasted sugar dragon!  I am lucky there was no off plan food in my house a couple of nights ago because I could have easily put my whole head in a bag of m&ms, eaten a package of oreos and still had thoughts of ice cream.

Excuse me, but WTF?  I have eaten no fruit except for a few frozen blueberries thrown on a salad every once in a while because I knew that fruit was a way to feed the dragon and my dragon is a big bad mean one.

So what now?   I don't mind continuing my Whole30, I am eating well but will the dragon ever die?

Keep fighting the good fight! It just takes some dragons longer to die. I did not have your resolve and dove headfirst into a bagel shop on Day 31, and I am still struggling with my dragon. Keep the momentum going until you're sure it's good and dead!

I don't think it's realistic to expect a dragon that has had control of our lives for decades to die in 30 days.  I've been at this for almost a year and mine's not dead yet.  There are times, periods of several months at a time, where I don't have any sugar.  But I think about it every day.

Another aspect of this is that I think many women probably need more carbs than we may choose to take in on an average Whole30.  That is to say, things like sweet potatoes, plantains, bananas, berries - I think these foods help our bodies keep energy up and cravings down.  When we go from a fast-carb based diet to a slow-carb based eating plan, our bodies may take some time to adjust, which is fine.  At the same time, we may benefit from eating carbs.  Grains are not approved or healthy, but carbs are.

I don't think that's the total answer - I think part of the answer is we are addicted and we don't know it, because sugar is in everything we eat until we start Whole30ing.  And I think another part of the answer is that we can probably eat more carbs than many of us choose to eat on a Whole30.

Ohm!!

I'm on Day 62 of AIP Whole 90 and my sugar dragon is still very much alive! I completely cut all sugar including fruit for the first 30 days. After Day 30 I decided I could try having a fruit serving with breakfast and see how it goes (it's summer and all the fresh fruits are so gorgeous!). So far so good, but I still catch myself dreaming about Day 91 when I will be able to try reintroducing dark chocolate, or paging through cookbooks full of paleo SWYPO cookie recipes. Most days, when I find myself thinking about brownies and ice cream, I am able to distract myself and derail it before it gets to all-out craving level. This in itself is a minor miracle for me. I'm hopeful that eventually the dragon will die. I have been abusing sugar for 60 years, so it's not surprising slaying the dragon is taking a long time.

I've been at this for a little over a year, and my sugar dragon refuses to die.  He dozes off from time-to-time, but is easily awakened.  I've been addicted for so long that I don't know if I will ever slay him, but I will keep trying.  Eventually, I hope he goes away.  Keep fighting the fight - don't give up. Good luck.

I am on day 17 and have been doing a great job of including small amounts of fruits usually with only 2 of my 3 meals per day. I wouldn't say for me it's directly "sugar need" related as I just LOVE fruit but last night I wanted to stay in and relax, lay around and I ate WAY more dinner than necessary and then slayed probably almost 4-5 cups of watermelon. I was full. I knew it. and I kept eating the watermelon. had some with dinner...then more about an hour later then more about an hour after that. bad. wrong. ugh. even though I haven't cheated during my 30 so far I Know this is the type of behavior that's important to work through. we are human.

Archived