Medicine Prevents Pre-WOD fuel

LDean

All,

My medication for my Hashimoto's thyroiditis needs to e taken as soon as I get up on an empty stomach. My doctor told me to wait at least 45 min - hour before eating or drinking anything besides water. I typically workout during this time. I'm on Day 11 of the Whole 30. Pre whole 30 I had no issues with this regime and there is literally no other time to workout in the day. Last week I was utterly exhausted and limited my workouts to just playing tennis 3 times. This week I'm trying to get back into my 1 hr/ day schedule and I'm just completely physically exhausted. I push through it, but my legs feel like jello. Any advice or thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I have been without a thyroid since 1991, and have been on thyroid meds ever since. While I change it around from time-to-time, I have felt best when I take my meds at night, before bed. Just make sure it's been about 2 hours since you last ate anything. The meds really get into my system and work well, as nothing interferes with absorption overnight. The only thing I would caution is to watch your symptoms. I actually had to lower my dose at one point, because I was too hyper.

Thank you for the replies!  The doctor was specific about me taking in the morning (most likely due to making sure I have an empty stomach)...but I will follow up to see what his specific concern with taking at night might be.  One impediment is that sometimes I get home so late from work that its hard to have 2 hours between eating and bedtime.

Check with your doc, but honestly, I don't think it matters when you take it, as long as you take it on an empty stomach. The other thing that has worked for me, is to set my alarm for an hour earlier than I plan to wake up, take it and go back to sleep. I keep the med bottle and water on my night table. I'm always adjusting my medicine time to accommodate my life, and I've never had an issue, as long as I take it properly. It's amazing how such a little tiny pill, can be such a pain in the neck (no pun intended).

Archived