Uh oh....

So today is Day 29. On Friday (Day 27), my family boated over to Martha's Vineyard for the day, and my husband and I went for a nice bike ride. I packed my lunch and some compliant snacks. Right before we got back on the boat, we went into a little coffee shop to get my husband am iced coffee. I was sweaty and hungry and noticed they also offered fruit smoothies. I asked if those were made with 100% fruit. The guy said they were, so I got one. But when he made it, I noticed he didn't clean the blender before he made my smoothie. I almost said something to him about it, but we were in a rush by that point, and I figured he had probably just made something with similar ingredients.

Friday night, I wasn't feeling well -- the first time in 27 days that I went to bed feeling anything but great. Yesterday I felt a little bit off, and last night I had some of the Crohn's symptoms that have been totally absent since I started my Whole 30. It was clear to me that I had eaten something non-complaint.... But what?? As I keep going over what I ate, I can only guess that whatever smoothie was left in that blender contained some dairy. It is the only thing that makes sense. I am kicking myself so hard for not raising a stink about it at the time, but what's done is done.

So.... What now? My plan for after the Whole 30 ended was to stay on the eating plan by and large, allowing for some occasional offroading in the sugar department. So I don't feel like I need to start over, but do any of the pros out there feel differently? Any advice for how to proceed? I was planning to do some reintroducing of foods, just to know if there were any grains I could handle, or maybe yogurt would be ok? Should I still proceed?? Or wait longer? Grateful for any advice! Thanks!

It didn't have to be anything non-compliant, it could just be the amount of raw fruit. If you have Chrohn's (I do) raw fruit can be one of the worst things to eat. What fruits were in it? There are many fruits that are FODMAPS that can cause IBS or Chron's flares.  And personally I wouldn't reintroduce grains. They also can cause a lot of flares, even if you are not celiac.

Thanks for the feedback, Bet. I have tolerated raw fruit (and veggies!!) very well during my Whole 30, and on the couple of occasions that I have overdone it, I have just ended up feeling a little gassy, but no other symptoms. So I don't think it was the fruit. I think that smoothie is the only possible explanation, since it was the only thing I ate that I didn't prepare myself in my kitchen. Everything else I have eaten has been part of my diet since I started the plan.

Maybe you can track down the name of the coffee shop and ask about possible contaminants.  That would basically be your reintro for that since you know it bothered you.

Definitely have a couple of clean, symptom-free days before you do any reintros.  I totally value the controlled reintros, so that I do know how important it is to say "no thank you" or "please wash the blender" down the road.

Archived