Coconut oil versus coconut oil supplements

Emily T

I am trying to use coconut oil as an antibacterial and an antifungal as I am beginning a whole30 modification to combat SIBO. Of course I know that the real thing is most likely better than a pill form, but I have been experiencing pretty bad nausea and diarrhea when I eat virgin coconut oil (mostly when I eat it from the jar and sometimes when I cook with it). I do not get it from the softgels.

edit to add - the amount that I have been taking is usually 1-2 teaspoons (max) with food. 

But before I commit to making the switch, I wanted to know, do the tablets have the same antibacterial/antifungal properties as the pure oil? What about refined coconut oil? 

The type of capsules I have are these: http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Virgin-Coconut-1000mg-Softgels/dp/B0019LTJ7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376926782&sr=8-1&keywords=coconut+oil+capsules

I started off trying Trader Joe's coconut oil and it made me feel yucky... nausea, upset tummy, etc. And I couldn't stand the smell. I have since switched to Tropical Traditions organic expeller pressed coconut oil and I no longer have the same problems. There's no taste/smell, and it hits the spot. What brand did you try? I'd encourage you to consider another brand or type.

I now buy the stuff by the gallon, cook just about everything with it, and sometimes eat a spoonful. No more issues! I really think it was the brand /smell (I'm particularly sensitive to smell).

Archived