day 2 and SUGAR IS IN EVERYTHING!

DoctorFaustus

Hello, Whole30 folks! 

I started my whole 30 journey yesterday.  A few interesting things have happened since then.

Discovered my sunbutter I bought to make pad thai last night had "evaporated cane extract" in it--- sneaky devils, that is SUGAR.  AND, apparently they add sugar to sweet potato french fries, twice, "no sugar added" pickles are made with splenda, and bacon that is sugar free is chock full of nitrates.  

Wonderful.  

The pad thai-- it was too late, I had already added it to my sauce so I ate it, which was followed by a raging headache (that prompted me to check the label).... Everything else I was able to dodge, but....now I am paranoid.  ABOUT everything.  

Cool thing about this?  The coconut water I tried last week and thought was so gross I wouldn't touch it again?  yeah--- that was tasty this morning.  

:wacko:

I keep repeating in my head: Trying is having the intention to fail... so I'm not trying, I'm doing and we shall see what happens.  

see you around! 

I know it is really discouraging to buy these things, and you have to become an obsessed label reader (I read EVERY SINGLE LABEL AT LEAST 3 TIMES before I actually decide to put it into my carriage.) . I know that my mother bought me some pickle spears that were compliant and then the other jar that said it was the same thing but hamburger chips had sugar in it! I was sooooooooooooo mad. But this was in the last week of my W30 thank goodness.

I think nitrates are ok... but you may want to wait on that. Good for you for finding bacon ;) I know I couldn't and I tried and was constantly disappointed. And so I just wanted it/craved it for that reason.

Luckily I was already a label reading nazi before our whole 30! I had my first near miss yesterday though, on day 42...prawns with sulfites!!! I bought them frozen, they were labeled as local, didn't even think to check. We've to get some out to defrost, turned the pack over and noticed "ingredients". The whole pack is back in our freezer, I'm wondering if all prawns are the same. I hope not!

It does seem tough at first, and it does seem like sugar is in every. single. thing. But I promise it does get better, and you get better at finding the options that are free of junk. You do have to be very diligent about checking the labels though cause they are sneaky, sneaky, sneaky. Things that you wouldn't even imagine would need sugar.... yup, sugar in the label.

It's a bit ridiculous and no wonder so many people battle a crazy sugar dragon. Instead of being able to indulge in a dessert by choice, we are bombarded with sugar at every meal in every type of ingredient and the vast majority of people don't even realize it. 

I couldn't agree more..  It makes me feel a bit better (superficially, anyway) that I can blame the food, get past it and focus on myself getting away from it, vs. thinking it was me who was weak.  

Day 4 and for the first time in I can't remember how long, I woke up famished.  Good sign, right???  :0) 

My mom and I just finished day 3 of the Whole 30, and I have been checking labels like crazy. I went to buy tomato salsa yesterday and had to go through about 6 different ones before I found one with out sugar. I never thought to check the label on salsa before, guess I know better now.  Also had the same issue today with pre-made chicken stock, didn't have time to make my own, went through at least 4 before my boyfriend found one without added sugar.  At least this has taught me to look more closely at all labels before anything goes into the cart. 

Archived