Tallulah Wolf-Angel

OMG, everyone, I just have to share! :D  My room mate, who is doing Whole 90 with me, made ghee for us yesterday. She used 2 pounds of butter and added 2 large chopped garlic cloves while it was melting and separating. She kept it on very low heat until all the water was out of the butter. Then she just strained out the garlic along with the milk solids at the end. Result: garlic ghee! So yummy  :D

• 2 weeks later...

so I attempted my first homemade ghee today- total disaster! I think I burned (and I mean literally flaming burned) over half of it. Any tips on how to keep it from frothing over the sides? I used a small pan and then transferred to a big pan once it frothed everywhere- but in the big pan it seemed to burn easily. I also cooked it on med then turned it down to low. 

so I attempted my first homemade ghee today- total disaster! I think I burned (and I mean literally flaming burned) over half of it. Any tips on how to keep it from frothing over the sides? I used a small pan and then transferred to a big pan once it frothed everywhere- but in the big pan it seemed to burn easily. I also cooked it on med then turned it down to low. 

Shockingly, I've made clarified butter 3 times and all 3 have been successful. I've found the key is to prepare it on the lowest possible heat. Takes about 25-30 minutes to create clarified butter from 1 pound of butter.

I don't think mine turned out right either, but since I've never had it before I have nothing to compare it to.  How do you know when all the milk solids are gone?  And if I think it's not "clarified" enough, can I remelt it and keep trying, or is it wasted? 

Archived