Pregnancy cravings

I did my first whole30 in February/March and it was amazing. I had boundless energy, got stronger, got leaner, felt fantastic, and best of all, got pregnant. During that time I had hardly any cravings or difficulty with the diet. I enjoyed it through the whole thirty days.

When I finished my whole30, I was visiting the states (I live in Thailand) and indulged in some SAD food in my last weeks. Combining those indulgences wih morning sickness, I felt horrible. I vowed to get back on a whole diet when I got home, but all I could stomach was bland pasta, rice, and fruit. I could not even think about cooking meat without being sick.

Now, at 25 weeks, morning sickness has subsided and my diet is back on track. I began a whole30 the first week of August and have been feeling better. I have more energy, digestion and heartburn have improved, and my weight gain has slowed to a healthy amount. However, the cravings are ridiculous. I'm totally content with my meal foods, but I want dessert so bad. Pregnancy cravings are a different animal from normal cravings. My normally sufficient will power is not cutting it. Does anyone have any advice for getting through my whole30 and the rest of my pregnancy?

I don't know but I'm very worried about this! I'm a little over 27 weeks and will be starting a W30 in a few weeks, so my husband can partake, and I'm extremely nervous about the cravings. I was also extremely sick until just a few weeks ago and am still a little nervous about getting back into the kitchen so rigorously. But it needs to be done!

Would it be possible for you to indulge in some still compliant sex with your pants on "dessert?" I know during my first W30 when it got to be that time of month I had a really, really hard time with will power and decided to have a bowl of strawberries with some coconut milk. It hit the spot immediately. 

I know it's not recommended but I think pregnancy is a bit of a different beast when it comes to a W30 and some SWYPO would be better than reaching for a pint of Ben and Jerry's or something similar. 

Okay, so I'm on day 20 and we've been trying to get pregnant and I actually think I am. (haven't missed a period yet but have some other symptoms) 

Anyways, how quickly does being pregnant start making me hungry?

Today I had breakfast at 7a, 3 eggs, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, cucumber, tomatoes, and some cashews. Then I had a cup of coffee, this is pretty much what I eat in the morning, with veggies varying from day to day. Today, however, at 10:30a I was STARVING and exhausted, since starting the W30 I've realized my body tells me it's tired when I'm hungry, today was a combo of both. So I snacked on some carrots and a handful of cashews and now I feel like I cheated.

Did I?

MrsKennel- It depends on the person and pregnancy. For my first I had morning sickness very early and wasn't as hungry. For this pregnancy I was ravenous for the first trimester, then got morning sickness, and now at 28 weeks my appetite is just picking back up. 

If you are pregnant, I would say you didn't cheat as long as everything was compliant. Pregnant and nursing mothers have different needs and snacking is okay.

• 5 weeks later...

I am having a very hard time. I was eating a 80-90% paleo diet before I got pregnant but not for long. I have been an off and on paleo partaker with hopes to change over to and on o oh paleo eater. I am only at 10 weeks with my second pregnancy. During my first I gained 35 lbs. which was too much. I'm starting out about 10 lbs. over weight. My whole life I have been unable to shed that last 10 lbs. due to an insane sugar addiction. I am a recovering alcoholic and know about addiction, this is no different from my alcohol addictions except that it is socially excepted and EVERYWHERE. This has proven to be too hard for me to say no during the last month and I feel like a foggy wreck. That coupled with a different role at work that has me sitting at a desk all day as opposed to walking around is the icing on my extra sugary cake. I am planning a whole30 but am in such a fog, starting seems impossible. My mind seems to have a brain freeze when I think about having to meal plan. I hate eggs, unfortunately, so that easy breakfast food is out and I am often left clueless. I joke that I need a chef, but I really could just use supporting friends (none of my friends are paleo) and some motivation. I cannot go and by another recipe of motivational book, now is the time to do. Any easy recipes, a words of encouragement, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I am in a sugar relapse right now and cannot get out of it.

You can do it! If you don't like eggs, have leftovers from yesterday's dinner for breakfast. Chicken thighs and broccoli are a totally acceptable breakfast food in my opinion! Or Beef stew, or taco salad...

Stop thinking of it as "breakfast" and move to thinking about it as your first meal. Sounds silly, but it really helps with that.

Archived