Today, Thursday August 22, I have completed day 1.

ablake42

Hey There Big Whole30ers,

Through a gradual process of elimination, I have finally arrived at my first day of whole 30. Which was hard. My meals have been compliant for about 5 days now, but protein shakes, sugar free gum and the occasional cigarette were the last things to kick. I have never attempted such a strict format before, however I have been off sugar for a year and have eaten paleo in the past. I am an enthusiastic chef and am excited to already have found joy in my plate that mirrors the template. My biggest challenge is going to be a meal schedule that works with my long vigorous workouts and late night obligations. I find that I am always hungry and am eager to snack, especially with low carb. I am going to keep an eye on this. In fact I think I will skip fruit all together and keep nuts to a topping to prevent over indulgence or waking my sugar dragon. I find myself popping a lot of hard boiled eggs, but it could be worse. I suppose it gets easier..... 

Love this community thing, especially since I'm doing this alone. Would welcome comments and support! Happy to connect with others on the same path!!!

Alison

Congratulations! It's such a great feeling getting Day 1 under your belt.

If you like to cook, I highly recommend a few sessions of batch cooking so you've always got something in the freezer. And check out the really great blog post about avoiding EPS (empty plate syndrome), it's got a ton of great links to Whole30-compliant cooking sites (as I type, I'm eating my breakfast at my desk: Italian breakfast bake from the blog "stuff I make my husband", it's delicious and a huge time saver for me in the mornings)

I'm almost 1/2 way through my 2nd Whole30, completed my first last September/October and loved it (except two days in there, there were 2 bad/hard days).

I learned two things about snacking from my first W30. And I think these two lessons made a very big difference for me. 1) If you are getting hungry between meals, there's a good chance you didn't get enough fat or protein (though it seems way more common from seeing posts that people go too low on the fat in a meal, all that life time of hearing "fat bad"). So try the keeping a meal log with your snacking, or just think about what your last meal was and tweak the fats/protein it for the next meal.

2) I've found that a snack that has fat and protein will really do the trick.  So, grab that hard boiled egg but eat it with some olives or nuts; or grab that apple but eat it with some nut butter and an egg or jerky. For me, just a harboiled egg (or just a handful of nuts or just an apple) will usually mean another snack in about an hour or two if I'm truly hungry and still a ways out from my meal.

I'm no marathon-exercise-session-kind-of-girl, but if you're following the meal template from W30 and still wanting a lot of snacks, you may need to be on the larger size portion of the template since you sound really active. I've seen some really great forum posts/discussions here about people with odd work-shifts, there might be some good tips for you.

Good luck with your Whole30! I hope you really enjoy it:)

Thank you all so much for the support!! I appreciate the tips and the blog suggestions. Its all going pretty well so far. Day 4 and feeling pretty good. Just got home from work did feel hungry so I had 2 hard boiled eggs and a handful of macadamia nuts. Its late, but I worked hard and I can't seem to sleep without something. I have been cooking great eats though..curried cauliflower with coconut cream is unbeleivable and seems to go with every meal, awesome with grass fed ground beef.  I feel less anxious about eating when my choices and meal times are limited. I think I'm enjoying this...

Archived