Coconut Kefir

rach

Can I have kefir made only from coconut milk or coconut cream? The only ingredients are coconut and water and the short-term addition of the the kefir grains which are removed before consumption. I am only on day 2 of the whole 30 but usually have coconut kefir once every 2 to 3 days. It has been hugely beneficial for my gut flora. I know that coconut milk or coconut cream is allowed on the whole 30 but wondering if the exclusion of kefir in the 'Whole 30 rules' is related to dairy content of regular kefir or the alcohol which can be produced in the fermentation process.

If it is 'approved', do you think that coconut kefir is as calorific as regular coconut milk? (i.e. should i 'go easy' on it?) or is it less claorific because the kefir grains digest the sugars?

Thanks so much

Rach

The kefir versions of coconut milk and cream don't contain any of the harmful prolamin proteins that we're worried about during the Whole30, so it would fall under the same realm as kombucha, which is ok as long as it contains no added sugar. As far as the calorie content, treat it as a dietary supplement, not as a beverage to be had all the time, and you'll be fine.

Archived