Pull Pork compliant?

ThomasE

Is the below compliant?

Pulled Pork with No Sugar Added BBQ Sauce

Recipe from www.theluckypennyblog.com
Makes 4 1/2 cups uncooked BBQ sauce and a whole lotta pulled pork. Pork:

4 - 5 pound pork roast, shoulder or Boston butt
32 oz (one carton) of veggie broth, chicken broth, or beef broth 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3-4 garlic cloves minced
1/2 white or brown onion sliced

No Sugar Added Paleo BBQ Sauce:

14.5 oz can no salt diced tomatoes in juice 1 white or brown onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 tablespoons dijon mustard
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on how much of a kick you want it to have) 2 teaspoons KOSHER salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional, but highly recommended)
1 cup drained pineapple chunks from a can (save the juice!!)
3/4 cup pineapple juice from the can

To make the pork. I often buy pork when it is on sale and toss it in the freezer. When I'm ready to make pulled pork, I'll take the pork out and put it in the fridge to defrost for a half a day or so. The night before I want to eat the pulled pork, I'll put the partially defrosted pork in the slow cooker. No need to worry about it being fully defrosted. In fact, it could be basically frozen. Add the broth to the slow cooker. Season top of pork with salt, pepper, and garlic. Set slow cooker on low and cook for 10 - 12 hours (overnight works best). If your pork is not frozen reduce cooking time to about 8 hours.

In the morning, or after the pork is done cooking, carefully remove the pork from the slow cooker and set it in a dish. Remove the fat, it should be pretty easy to find. Discard fat. Shred remaining pork. Drain the slow cooker of liquid and discard liquid. Add the shredded pork back to the slow cooker.

Homemade No Sugar Added BBQ Sauce:
Sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge.

In a food processor or blender combine all ingredients for BBQ sauce. Blend until smooth. Taste. (It won't taste quite right because it hasn't been cooked yet, but you should be able to tell if you need more seasonings.) Adjust seasonings. The flavor will develop once it cooks with the pork, but I do recommend you taste it before cooking.

Cook pork as described above - overnight with broth and seasonings, shred and discard fat and cooking juices. Return shredded pork to the slow cooker. Add sliced onions and desired amount of homemade BBQ sauce. I used 4 cups for 4 lbs of pork. It was saucy (the way I like it) but not too saucy. The BBQ sauce will cook down some during cooking time. Stir well. Cook on low for 4 1/2 - 6 hours.

Is the below compliant?

Pulled Pork with No Sugar Added BBQ Sauce

Recipe from www.theluckypennyblog.com

Makes 4 1/2 cups uncooked BBQ sauce and a whole lotta pulled pork. Pork:

4 - 5 pound pork roast, shoulder or Boston butt

32 oz (one carton) of veggie broth, chicken broth, or beef broth 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

3-4 garlic cloves minced

1/2 white or brown onion sliced

No Sugar Added Paleo BBQ Sauce:

14.5 oz can no salt diced tomatoes in juice 1 white or brown onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, chopped

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 tablespoons dijon mustard

3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons sweet paprika

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on how much of a kick you want it to have) 2 teaspoons KOSHER salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional, but highly recommended)

1 cup drained pineapple chunks from a can (save the juice!!)

3/4 cup pineapple juice from the can

To make the pork. I often buy pork when it is on sale and toss it in the freezer. When I'm ready to make pulled pork, I'll take the pork out and put it in the fridge to defrost for a half a day or so. The night before I want to eat the pulled pork, I'll put the partially defrosted pork in the slow cooker. No need to worry about it being fully defrosted. In fact, it could be basically frozen. Add the broth to the slow cooker. Season top of pork with salt, pepper, and garlic. Set slow cooker on low and cook for 10 - 12 hours (overnight works best). If your pork is not frozen reduce cooking time to about 8 hours.

In the morning, or after the pork is done cooking, carefully remove the pork from the slow cooker and set it in a dish. Remove the fat, it should be pretty easy to find. Discard fat. Shred remaining pork. Drain the slow cooker of liquid and discard liquid. Add the shredded pork back to the slow cooker.

Homemade No Sugar Added BBQ Sauce:

Sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge.

In a food processor or blender combine all ingredients for BBQ sauce. Blend until smooth. Taste. (It won't taste quite right because it hasn't been cooked yet, but you should be able to tell if you need more seasonings.) Adjust seasonings. The flavor will develop once it cooks with the pork, but I do recommend you taste it before cooking.

Cook pork as described above - overnight with broth and seasonings, shred and discard fat and cooking juices. Return shredded pork to the slow cooker. Add sliced onions and desired amount of homemade BBQ sauce. I used 4 cups for 4 lbs of pork. It was saucy (the way I like it) but not too saucy. The BBQ sauce will cook down some during cooking time. Stir well. Cook on low for 4 1/2 - 6 hours.

Most dijon mustards contain white wine, so that's something for you to carefully label-read.  Whole Foods 365 brand of organic dijon mustard contains no wine, so that brand would be compliant.

Also, watch the canned tomatoes, tomato paste and broths for compliant ingredients. Finally, be sure the canned pineapple is complaint (no sugar/syrup), and that all the spices you use are compliant.

Archived