Sometimes my mind is my biggest enemy

Cate B.

Cate B, I didn't see your original post before you deleted it, but I can guess what it said based on all the responses.  Like everyone else who responded, I also struggle to make peace with what I look like. I just posted a link to this blog post about body image on the "Older Ladies" thread but it fits so well with this discussion that I'm linking it here as well.  http://www.whole9life.com/2012/06/be-good-to-yourself-inside-and-out/

Bet-- I've looked at photos of myself in my 20's and 30's and wonder why I didn't appreciate my beautiful smooth skin.  Of course, in 10 or 20 years I'll probably look back and wonder why didn't I love how I looked in 2013.   I read an article about a woman in her 20's who was being treated for stage 4 breast cancer.   She said one of her fondest hopes was to have wrinkles someday because it would mean she'd lived long enough to acquire them.  Sort of puts it all in perspective, doesn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

I found myself feeling down about myself the other. I had spent so much time looking forward to going to this costume ball, and when I got there I just remembered how I felt every time I was in high school as the fat girl no one wanted to dance with. It completely crushed me that I only danced twice and then I wanted to leave because I felt so uncomfortable, even though I have already lost 50 lbs from where I was I still feel like I always used to. I definitely need to figure out how to get out of that mindset, but on most normal days I'm not there anymore, I guess it was just this special occasion that I hadn't done in about 10 years that just put me back in my old place.

I found myself feeling down about myself the other. I had spent so much time looking forward to going to this costume ball, and when I got there I just remembered how I felt every time I was in high school as the fat girl no one wanted to dance with. It completely crushed me that I only danced twice and then I wanted to leave because I felt so uncomfortable, even though I have already lost 50 lbs from where I was I still feel like I always used to. I definitely need to figure out how to get out of that mindset, but on most normal days I'm not there anymore, I guess it was just this special occasion that I hadn't done in about 10 years that just put me back in my old place.

I'm so sorry that that was your experience.  Old pain can certainly rear it's ugly head and really mess with our minds.  One thing for certain; you have done beautifully!  50 lbs is an amazing weight loss.  I'm sure you know that, but remind yourself nonetheless.  I have found that doing new things is the best way to redefine who you are. I'm in my early 50's and I've set new goals, physical, mental and spiritual.  I work hard not to put myself in situations that were similar to painful ones from the past - even after all these years.  There are too many other wonderful opportunities out there.  

Hang in there, you're a success!

Archived