Recommendations for compliant electrolyte replacement?

KellyF

I am wondering how all of you replace electrolytes while on a Whole 30.

I am not an athlete, but I do heavy duty barn/pasture work several days per week. I live in FL and have to dress for sun protection- long pants and sleeves, hat. While I'm lucky to sweat enough not to overheat, I sweat enough to get really dehydrated if I only drink water.

When not on W30, I drink a 50/50 combo of water and coconut water, but if I understand correctly, the coconut water has too much sugar for a W30. Any suggestions? I found one tablet that looked compliant, but it contained caffeine, which I don't tolerate well.

Thanks for any recommendations.

I am a big fan of elete, it's on the Whole9 Approved page (but its cheaper to buy through amazon).  I bought a $15 bottle and it makes like 20 gallons.  I put 1/2 tsp in a 24oz bottle and it tastes like water with a little bit of lemon in it.

The 50/50 water/coconut water was fine but it left a sticky feeling in my mouth.

KellyF - As an ultrarunner, I have found S-caps from Succeed! to be the best electrolyte tablet available.  I'm only on Day 16 of Whole30 so I am not an expert at all on the program so I will list the ingredients of S-caps:  sodium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, sodium citrate, sodium phosphate, potassium chloride, gelatin (the capsule).  When I race in high temps I take two per hour with up to 40oz of water each hour too.  I used to rely on drinks like Gatorade, etc., but those are just sugar drinks that didn't prevent cramping after 6 or more hours of running.  S-caps had another effect on me.  I used to crave tons of food after a long training run (especially in mid-summer).  I think my body was trying to replenish salt and other electrolytes.  After discovering S-caps, those post run cravings disappeared.

I started the Whole30 program because I am injured and wasn't healing as quickly as I have in the past.  I figured my diet was a contributing factor to my aches/pains.  So far, so good.  Until my injury heals I am limited to lifting and riding the stationary bike at the gym...very curious how a 2, 3, 4 or 5 hour training run goes while eating Whole30.  I might be carrying sweet potato cakes in my fuel belt!!  Ha Ha

Archived