My First Whole 30 - 8 Week Challenge

JoDP

Today I started my first Whole30! Actually it is more like Whole60 because I am joining my friend in IL for her 8 week challenge.

Been Paleo since May after reading It Starts with Food and have been wanting to do the Whole30 since just was not ready. Got my family on board with the eating style, which has made this life change so much easier!

Then, when my friend announced that she is starting, I decided it was perfect timing. The challenge will end right before Thanksgiving, where I will be heading out of town for a week to visit family.

I started Crossfit mid-June and go M-W-F each week. Something my 15yo son and I do together, which I love!  I have to modify a bunch, but see progress since starting 3 months ago.  :rolleyes:

Today was a good day. Just was challenged with the urge to snack, which I did this afternoon, but made sure I was actually hungry before giving in.   :D

Day #1:

• Breakfast:  Egg casserole with homemade breakfast sausage, spinach and onion, heirloom tomato and green smoothie
  • Lunch:  Shephard's Pie (from WellFed) used the Italian version and made with sweet potatoes instead of cauliflower as topping, snap peas
  • Snack: Lemon Larabar with some plantain chips
  • Dinner: (still need to eat)  South of the Border Stew (from Paleoithic Slow Cooker) over half sweet potato with small green smoothie (left over from this morning's smoothie)

I have Bible Study tonight, so it will keep me from the urge to have "night time snacks", which is a great thing. 

Looking forward to another fabulous day, tomorrow!

Welcome!

Just some quick feedback on your first day:

- smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food vs. drink it, as it's more satiating.

- snacks should be a mini-meal including a protein and fat. Use Larabars only in emergency situations while on a Whole30.

Mini-meal examples:

- hardboiled egg with pepper strips and an avocado

- chicken, tuna, egg or salmon salad made with celery and paleo mayo. Add 1/2 sweet potato for more veggies.

- sardines and sauerkraut, 1-2 handfuls of olives

- compliant smoked salmon, carrots, handful of nuts

- compliant prosciutto, jicama strips, and olives, avocado, or nuts

Today was a bit tough in the morning. I ate earlier than normal and was hungry 3 hrs later, so I had a snack of hard boiled egg and small banana to tie me over until lunch. Then, I had a very hearty lunch and that satisfied me until dinner...thank God! :) 

Day #2:

Breakfast: Similar to yesterday, egg casserole with homemade sausage, spinach and onion with some snap peas.

Lunch: Left over South of the Border Stew from yesterday's dinner over 1/2 sweet potato with 1/2 cucumber and heirloom tomato. I was REALLY hungry for lunch!

Dinner: Sauteed cabbage and onion with garlic and turkey meatballs with a clementine orange. :)

Feel a bit foggy and noticed my "urges" to snack - even when I wasn't hungry. Guess I need work in that area!  :unsure: 

Today was a much better day!  

I did start out with an intense CrossFit session at the gym. Fridays are our hardest workouts of the week! Felt a bit weak. Don't think I had a decent enough PreWO meal. I just had one hard boiled egg, but should have had 2!

Day #3:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with nitrate free bacon. Half of a sweet potato with salsa

Lunch:  Left over stew again with 1/2 sweet potato with watermelon 

Dinner: Shrimp with sauteed cabbage. Heirloom tomato. (bringing to MIL's for dinner) 

No snacking, which I am very pleased about!  Drinking a ton of water, too.  :rolleyes:

Today was a really good day. 

Day #4 - 

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with peppers and onions. Nitrate Free bacon and apple. (I think I blew it because I just saw they the uncured bacon has sugar!!  :( )

Lunch: Spinach salad with carrots, celery, cucumber, tomato, hard boiled egg, half yam topped with salsa

Dinner: Everyday Paleo's mini meatloafs with homemade ketchup, mashed garlic sweet potatoes, snap peas and tomato

I am REALLY bummed to think I just blew the last 4 days!!  

I am doing this for 8 weeks, so ultimately, I can re-start my Whole "30", but am REALLY sad about it.  

Oh, well...I will just extend it out another 4 days...still ends the Thursday before Thanksgiving!  :P (Thank  God!!)

Today was a really good day.

Day #4 -

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with peppers and onions. Nitrate Free bacon and apple. (I think I blew it because I just saw they the uncured bacon has sugar!! :( )

Lunch: Spinach salad with carrots, celery, cucumber, tomato, hard boiled egg, half yam topped with salsa

Dinner: Everyday Paleo's mini meatloafs with homemade ketchup, mashed garlic sweet potatoes, snap peas and tomato

I am REALLY bummed to think I just blew the last 4 days!!

I am doing this for 8 weeks, so ultimately, I can re-start my Whole "30", but am REALLY sad about it.

Oh, well...I will just extend it out another 4 days...still ends the Thursday before Thanksgiving! :P (Thank God!!)

As you're doing 8 weeks, there's nothing to worry about as you'll have more than 30 days clean - accidental sugar consumption isn't the worst thing you could do, it'll mean you're more vigilant from now on!

Thanks, Amber! I was quite disappointed, but I do realize I am doing this for 60 days, so I should be good. My plan is to just extend 4 more days so I can do a full Whole30 approved 60 days. :)

Day #5

Breakfast:  Scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage with a 1/2 yam with salsa and an clementine.

Lunch: Left over mini meatloaf with mashed sweet potatoes and sliced carrots

Dinner:  Jambalaya with homemade italian turkey sausage with plantain chips

Was a great day. My appetite seems to be settling to where it doesn't seem too challenging to get to the next meal. Been really working to not snack at all. 

I am feel really good today. I am not having any typical symptoms, which is good. I think a lot of that is because I have been eating Paleo since May with only a few off-plan meals.  So, I don't have the sugar or processed carb withdrawals. Yah, God!  :P

Here's to another fabulous day!  :rolleyes:

Yesterday was a good day. I was at a client's all day and then went out with a girlfriend to a restaurant. I ate before we went and was totally good drinking lemon water while we chatted and she ate. She is a dear friend and VERY supportive of my journey, so that really helped.  :)

Day #6 (yesterday)

Breakfast:  Scotch egg, 1/2 apple and snap peas. I was SUPER surprised not to be hungry at all for breakfast even after a great workout (yes, I did have a post wo meal - wasn't hungry for that either, so kinda forced myself to eat it)

Lunch: Left over Jambalaya and an orange

Dinner: Left over mini meatloafs, cucumber, 1/2 sweet potato with salsa and 2 celery with 1Tbls of almond butter - I wanted to make sure I was nice and satisfied before heading to the restaurant. 

Great day!  Energy is picking up and am super proud of my first week so far!   B)

Yesterday was a bit of a busy day...but was a great one!  I am really feeling good and healthy.

Day #7

Breakfast: Scotch egg, 1/2 cucumber and orange.

Lunch: Left over BBQ steak, 1/2 cucumber and mashed sweet potato. Added an orange as an after thought.

Dinner: Turkey Tacos on Romaine Lettuce and a green smoothie with kale, a ton of spinach, parsley, coconut milk and frozen berries. Had to make it a quick dinner to get to my daughter's volleyball practice. 

Starting to see a decrease in appetite. Not so difficult to last 4-5 hrs between meals.  Still battling the Snack Bug, but I recognize it and just drink water. Not hungry, just a habit to kick!

Another good day!  I feel so incredibly motivated and fabulous... 

Day #8 - 

Breakfast: Sweet potato topped with scrambled eggs and salsa

Lunch: Grilled hamburger, sauteed cabbage and heirloom tomato

Dinner: Hungarian Beef Stew from Everyday Paleo over 1/2 baked sweet potato

Snack:  Larabar (was at bible study and got hungry, but was still at least 2 hrs before bedtime)

I totally see an improvement in my sleep and in my mood.  :)  Cannot wait to find out how I feel when I am done with the 8 weeks!! 

Haven't been on the forum for a while, but have been doing good on the program! :)

Here are my last few meals...

Day #8 Breakfast was scrambled eggs with salsa on 1/2 sweet potato. Lunch was hamburger with heirloom tomato and sauteed cabbage. Dinner was Hungarian Stew over sweet potato. :)

Day #9 Breakfast was Fried eggs in Sweet Potato and Carrot Cakes. Lunch was left over stew over sweet potato and an apple. Dinner was Shepherd's Pie and grapes. Need to go shopping for veggies...out of greens! :)

Day #10 Today was a "left over" kinda day...Breakfast was scotch egg with 1/2 yam with salsa. Lunch more scotch eggs, sauteed cabbage and 1/2 yam. Had a snack of celery and Almond butter. Dinner was hamburger with spicy guacamole, tomato, onion and lettuce, steamed veggies and left over sweet potato with a bit of salsa. Looking forward to doing some shopping!

Day #11 Breakfast was an egg, breakfast sausage, banana, and sweet potato home fries. Lunch was shrimp taco boats with guacamole and salsa, Dinner was BBQ steak with mashed sweet potato, tomatoes, snap peas and apple sauce.

Day#12...not ideal... Breakfast had to be quick to get to church...2 Hard boiled eggs and a green smoothie with frozen berries. Lunch was Shrimp Pad Thai and an apple. Had a snack of plantain chips and guac salsa. Had a Larabar to get some nutrients in a couple hrs before bed. Tummy is not doing good...

Not sure why, but my tummy has been a bit yucky the last couple days mostly - especially after I eat.  Could be a bug or part of the detoxing??  Been feeling fantastic up until Day #10 after lunch. Then the tummy started acting up.   :wacko: 

Archived